28.490, Calls: General Linguistics/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 24 18:56:47 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-490. Tue Jan 24 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.490, Calls: General Linguistics/Netherlands

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2017 13:56:39
From: Marianne de Heer Kloots [conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl]
Subject: TWIST Student Conference for Linguistics

Full Title: TWIST Student Conference for Linguistics

Date: 21-Apr-2017 - 22-Apr-2017
Location: Leiden, Netherlands
Contact Person: Conference Committee Linguistics students' society TWIST
Meeting Email: conference at studieverenigingtwist.nl
Web Site: http://conference.studieverenigingtwist.nl/home

Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2017

Meeting Description:

The 11th T.W.I.S.T. Student Conference for Linguistics will take place on 21
and 22 April, 2017.
The T.W.I.S.T. Conference is organized by T.W.I.S.T., the students' society
for Linguistics students at Leiden University. Each year, it provides a truly
academic yet open and informal platform for undergraduate (BA), graduate (MA)
and postgraduate (PhD) students to present their original research to fellow
students and researchers from all over The Netherlands (and abroad!). With 4
keynote lectures and 24 student talks, we strive to bring together students
interested in language from the most diverse research fields and
subdisciplines.

Call for Papers:

T.W.I.S.T., the Leiden students' society for linguistics students, has
organized the students' conference for the past ten years. This edition will
be extra interesting since T.W.I.S.T. is celebrating its 3rd lustrum in 2017.
It will be a notable event that all students interested in linguistics will
surely want to experience.

Research on all languages and all areas of linguistics are welcomed: from
descriptive linguistics to computational syntax and from sociolinguistics to
historical phonology. All student presentations have a duration of 20 minutes
and there will be five minutes time for discussion. Some topics from past
conferences are: ''Nominal tense: how Amazonian languages punch us in the
face'', ''The paradoxal combination of 'yes no' in spoken Dutch'', ''Word
learning strategies in SLI teenagers'' and ''Gallo-Romance in the Lex
Salica''.

The T.W.I.S.T. students' conference offers you a truly academic yet open and
informal platform to present your research to fellow students and fellow
researchers from all over the country. Next to the student presentations there
will also be four keynote lectures by renowned linguistics researchers and
professors from The Netherlands and nearby countries. As a student speaker you
are naturally invited to attend lectures by guest speakers, students and
postgraduates. A lunch is also provided. (Please note that we are currently
unable to provide any financial compensation for student speakers' travel
costs.)

In between lectures and during the breaks you will have plenty of
opportunities to meet and converse with fellow students, researchers and
academic lecturers. The conferences have previously been attended by over 70
students and researchers.

How to apply:

Please submit your abstract via the submission form on
http://conference.studieverenigingtwist.nl/call-for-abstracts .

In you abstract you should make clear what your research is about, why it is
interesting, and what (preliminary) conclusions you draw from your research.
The abstract should contain at most 250 words. We strive to make the whole
conference accessible for international students.

The deadline for applications is 28 February 2017. The committee will announce
the selected speakers two weeks after the deadline.

We are looking forward to reading your abstracts and welcoming you at the 11th
T.W.I.S.T. Student Conference for Linguistics!

Kind regards,

Conference committee 2016-2017 on behalf of Linguistics students' society
T.W.I.S.T.

          http://multitree.org/