28.572, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Soapbox Labs

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 31 17:35:24 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-572. Tue Jan 31 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.572, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Soapbox Labs

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2016
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 12:35:13
From: Cathy Scanlon [cathy.scanlon at soapboxlabs.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Soapbox Labs, Dublin, Ireland

University or Organization: Soapbox Labs
Job Location: Dublin, Ireland
Web Address: http://soapboxlabs.com
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Soapbox Labs is a dynamic and creative Trinity campus company based in the
convenient and central Portobello area of Dublin, Ireland. We are building
speech recognition technology for children between the ages of 4 and 10,
enabling device interactions for gaming, learning and communication. The
SoapBox platform allows developers to incorporate our ‘smart’ cloud based
engine into their digital apps and web services.

We are currently looking to expand our team to help develop our
patent-pending, proprietary speech recognition system. We are looking for
enthusiastic and self-driven candidates who thrive under minimal supervision
and dream big.

In this position you will:
- Be mentored by senior speech engineers
- Develop algorithms, test and automate newly developed systems
- Develop new skills in language modelling, acoustic modelling and speech
recognition
- Take ownership of ongoing projects

Requirements:
- MSc (Research) in Linguistics, Computer Science, Engineering, or related
area; or BSc and relevant experience in conducting speech recognition based
research
- Experience in bash, python, or similar command line / scripting skills
- Interest in linguistics, acoustics, machine learning and speech technology
- Some exposure to speech recognition software tools (e.g. Kaldi, CMU Sphinx,
HTK)
- Positive team player attitude with strong verbal and written communication
skills

Desirables:
- MSc or PhD in computer science and/or linguistics
- Experience with speech recognition software such as Kaldi, CMU Sphinx, HTK
- Some knowledge of deep neural nets, natural language processing, and other
machine learning techniques
- A second language is a plus

What we offer:
- A competitive remuneration package (with the potential to earn stock
options)
- Flexible working environment
- Beer and pizza Fridays
- Our office is right over a great cafe and yoga studio!
- The chance to get in at the ground floor of this high potential start-up

We are keen to interact with talented people and will get back to the selected
candidates quickly. We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity
at our company.

Apply directly to the hiring manager at the application email address below.
Please attach your CV and a cover letter explaining why you are the right
person for us!

Must be willing to relocate to Ireland within a reasonable time period if
applying from abroad.

Email Address for Applications: cathy.scanlon at soapboxlabs.com
Contact Information:
	Cathy Scanlon