28.2937, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Voice User Interface Engineer, Nuance Communications

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 5 13:59:46 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2937. Wed Jul 05 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2937, Jobs:  Computational Linguistics: Voice User Interface Engineer, Nuance Communications

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 05 Jul 2017 09:59:42
From: Dawn Constable [dawn.constable at nuance.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Voice User Interface Engineer, Nuance Communications, Ulm, Germany

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Job Location: Ulm, Germany
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com/
Job Title: Voice User Interface Engineer
Job Rank: Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

At Nuance, we empower people with the ability to seamlessly interact with
their connected devices and the digital world around them.  We are creating a
world where technology thinks and acts the way people do by designing the most
human, natural, and intuitive ways of interacting with technology.

Our nimble technology uses analytics and advanced algorithms to transform the
inanimate into animate and reduce complicated processes into simple ones.

Join our Mobile team…intelligent systems now ready for the road. We are
passionate about developing intelligent interfaces that enable people to talk
to their cars, phones, devices, and other smart “things”.

Be part of something that’s not even been created yet!
At Nuance we are continuously striving to break new ground and to turn more
ideas into reality we have created an Innovations team to engage closely with
customers on new projects and ideas. You will be part of a assignment working
at a truly pioneering level – designing the future for Nuance.

Your role within this exciting new team will be to work on prototypes to
implement speech interaction, design and write dialogs using a Nuance Generic
Dialog Manager and work within a team to produce a complete prototype
including multimodal interaction

Responsibilities:
- Specify voice dialogs and user interaction for the new generation of speech
products
- Design and implementation of dialogs using an XML-like specification
language
- Work together with framework team on requirements and optimal configuration
for specific customer projects
- Study technical requirements for Dragon Drive Reference Design and
Innovation Showcase; design software architecture to meet technical
requirements
- Work with application development engineers and QA teams within the scope of
the prototypes to realize the project deliverables
- Support external customers’ prototypes to showcase Nuance Automotive speech
technology
- Be up to date on technology development and challenge yourself to deliver
best-in class solutions to our customers

Required Skills:
- Knowledge of UI design (for speech systems)
- Strong C / C++ and Java Programming Skills
- Programming with scripting languages
- Positive "can-do" attitude, well organized, focusing on achieving results
cost-effectively
- Ability and willingness to handle occasional peak demands
- Ability and willingness to travel for short trips.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and German

Preferred Skills:
- Knowledge of a software development process (e.g. Agile)
- Software integration and architecture knowledge

Education: B. Eng. Or B. Sc. (in Computer Science or SW engineering)

Application Deadline: 05-Oct-2017

Email Address for Applications: dawn.constable at nuance.com
Contact Information:
	Dawn Constable