28.2717, FYI: Call for Publication Proposals Identity & Language

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jun 17 18:08:50 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2717. Sat Jun 17 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2717, FYI: Call for Publication Proposals Identity & Language

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2017 14:08:16
From: Antonella Napolitano [antonella.napolitano at unisannio.it]

Università degli Studi del Sannio, Benevento (Italy), Dipartimento DEMM
(Dipartimento di Diritto, Economia, Management e Metodi Quantitativi)

Proposed Title for the Book:
''Identité, Diversité et Langue, entre ponts et murs.
Identity and Language Diversity, between walls and bridges''

Call for Publication Proposals:

The University of Sannio, in collaboration with I-lanD (Identity and Language
Diversity) Research Centre, wishes to publish an academic edited collection
which will gather contributions in French, English and Spanish on a highly
topical subject of linguistic and social importance). The volume will comprise
about 20 contributions of maximum 12 pages each, which will be examined by
peer reviewers and by a scientific committee named by the I-lanD Research
Centre.

Project Background:

The initiative stems from the desire to pay a concrete and scientific tribute
to our colleague Giulia Papoff, Full Professor of French Language at the
University of Sannio, who devoted all the energies of a long career not only
to French Studies, but also to the promotion of languages at large and in
particular to language studies, especially as managing director of the
University Language Centre.

Publishing House:

Iniziative Editoriali Paolo Loffredo, Naples.

Editors:

Carolina Diglio (Full Professor of French Literature at the University of
Naples “Parthenope”) and Antonella Napolitano (Research Fellow in English
Language Studies at the University of Sannio, Benevento).

Publication Languages:

English, Italian and Spanish.

Content:

In a globalizing world which records historic migratory flows, in which
national, religious and cultural identities feel threatened by diversity and
multiculturalism, the real challenge cannot be other than investing in an
intercultural dialogue, as pointed out by UNESCO in its World Report Investing
in Cultural Diversity and Intercultural Dialogue. “Cultural diversity has
emerged as a key concern at the turn of a new century. Yet the meanings
attached to this catch-all term are as varied as they are shifting. Some see
cultural diversity as inherently positive, insofar as it points to a sharing
of the wealth embodied in each of the world’s cultures and, accordingly, to
the links uniting us all in processes of exchange and dialogue. For others,
cultural differences are what cause us to lose sight of our common humanity
and are therefore at the root of numerous conflicts. This second diagnosis is
today all the more plausible since globalization has increased the points of
interaction and friction between cultures, giving rise to identity-linked
tensions, withdrawals and claims, particularly of a religious nature, which
can become potential sources of dispute. The essential challenge, therefore,
would be to propose a coherent vision of cultural diversity and thereby to
clarify how, far from being a threat, it can become beneficial to the action
of the international community. This is the essential purpose of the present
report.”

Languages are one of the key vectors of diversity in as much as they are
fundamental factors of national or ethno-cultural identity which play an
important role in the process of delimitation of the boundaries between
different social groups. Yet, at the same time, languages represent an
important vehicle for communicating the cultural contents they contain in
order to go beyond national borders and spread the identity values embedded in
them. Languages are not just a means of communication but represent the very
fabric of cultural expressions, the carriers of identities, values and
worldviews.

Languages, as expression of the reality around us and above all of our way of
interpreting it, translate the way we conceive and perceive the world. This is
why languages can represent a barrier which is difficult to overcome or, at
the contrary, they can help build an intercultural dialogue and become a
bridge between peoples and communities.

Drawing from the debate on the different ways identity, alterity and diversity
are built through language, with this volume we aim at stimulating a
reflection on the existing relationship between language and cultural
identity, between language and gender identity also in relation with
translation, on the different typologies of linguistic variation, multimodal
and digital languages and any form of linguistic diversification deriving from
contamination, hybridization and migration of discourses, textual genres and
typologies, like changes of written and spoken forms of communication, the
difference between specialized discourses and dissemination, etc..

We therefore encourage proposals in form of an abstract involving, but not
limited to, the following topics and methodological approaches:

- Critical Discourse Analysis
- Linguistic and cultural mediation
- Translation studies
- Corpus linguistics
- EFL, ESL, ELF, ESP
- Language crossing, switching, and mixing
- Language variation and mutation
- Multimodal, digital and audio-visual languages
- Gender studies
- Language and identity
- Translation
- Culture, identity and translation

Abstract guidelines:

Contributions in French, English or Spanish shall be sent to the e-mail
address pontiemuri2017 at unisannio.it specifying:

- Object: I-lanD - Entre ponts et murs/Between walls and bridges.
- Title of the contribution
- Name/s of author/s, affiliation, e-mail address
- Between 4 and 6 keywords (with at least one specifying the methodological
approach used)
- Anonymous abstract of 400 words excluding references, to be sent as an
attachment

Deadlines:

Deadline for abstract submission: 15 July 2017
Notification of acceptance of the contribution: 15 August 2017
Deadline for the submission of full papers: 15 October 2017.

                     Computational Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     General Linguistics
                     Ling & Literature