28.2858, Calls: Anth Ling, Applied Ling, Discourse Analysis, Socioling/Switzerland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jun 29 17:03:07 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2858. Thu Jun 29 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2858, Calls: Anth Ling, Applied Ling, Discourse Analysis, Socioling/Switzerland

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2017 13:03:00
From: Joseph Comer [joseph.comer at ens.unibe.ch]
Subject: City Talk: Urban Identities, Mobilities and Textualities

Full Title: City Talk: Urban Identities, Mobilities and Textualities

Date: 11-Dec-2017 - 12-Dec-2017
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Contact Person: Joseph Comer
Meeting Email: joseph.comer at ens.unibe.ch
Web Site: http://www.ens.unibe.ch/research/events/city_talk/index_eng.html

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Aug-2017

Meeting Description:

In December 2017, the University of Bern will host an interdisciplinary
conference that brings together internationally renowned scholars and young
researchers working in the fields of sociolinguistics, critical discourse
studies and linguistic anthropology/ethnography. In this regard, we invite the
submission of abstracts for presentations. The number of participants will be
limited to 20, in order to facilitate a tightly structured conference that
affords sufficient time for discussion.

As its intellectual foundation and uniting theme, the conference focuses on
the ever-growing web of interdependent urban zones that facilitate the
increased and intensified transnational movement of people, products, and
information that typifies the contemporary world: “the city”. Our aim is to
generate new ideas and advance interdisciplinary knowledge and discussion at
the important interface between language, society and “the city” in a
globalizing world. We define “the city” here as, at once:
- a discursive formation (i.e. as ‘text’);
- an often-potent marker of identity (i.e. through ‘talk’);
- lived-in, moving, embodied and situated space (i.e. ‘place’), and;
- a key site of (global) cultural and economic production, consumption, and
social
inequality.

Society builds cities, but how do cities, in turn, shape society, for better
or worse?

2nd Call for Papers:

We welcome contributions that use a diverse set of analytical and
methodological frameworks. We encourage presentations taking a multimodal
approach to communication – inclusive of, but not limited to, spoken/written
language.

In light of our broad definition of “the city”, we are committed to exploring
a range of perspectives on language and 'the city' at this event, with
discussions drawing upon research in the following thematic areas and sub-
disciplines: interactional sociolinguistics; variationist sociolinguistics;
linguistic anthropology; the sociolinguistics of globalization;
linguistic/semiotic landscapes; language policy; language ideologies; language
and power; language and mobility; language and superdiversity; and language in
the media (particularly new/digital media).

Please send abstracts (max. 300 words, excluding references) to
joseph.comerens.unibe.ch.

The deadline for proposals is August 1, 2017 with anticipated notifications of
acceptance by August 15, 2017. The principal language of the City Talk
conference will be English.