28.2875, Calls: Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Semantics/France

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jun 30 16:44:52 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2875. Fri Jun 30 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2875, Calls: Cog Sci, Comp Ling, Pragmatics, Semantics/France

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 12:44:45
From: Julie Hunter [juliejoanna.hunter at upf.edu]
Subject: Foundations of Situated & Multimodal Communication

Full Title: Foundations of Situated & Multimodal Communication
Short Title: FSMC

Date: 19-Sep-2017 - 19-Sep-2017
Location: Montpellier, France
Contact Person: Julie Hunter
Meeting Email: juliejoanna.hunter at upf.edu
Web Site: https://sites.google.com/site/sitcomfoundations/

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Computational Linguistics; Pragmatics; Semantics

Call Deadline: 13-Jul-2017

Meeting Description:

Situated or multimodal communication, in which speakers exploit various
aspects of the non-linguistic context to communicate a message, is a fact of
life for face-to-face conversations. Its analysis is of fundamental importance
for modelling the interpretation of everyday conversations and human-robot
interactions. This workshop will bring together both linguists and computer
scientists to discuss foundational, conceptual, and practical issues involving
situated and multimodal communication. Relevant topics include: the nature of
the non-linguistic context; the range of ways that gesture and speech exploit
the non-linguistic context and how they exploit it differently; the practical
and/or computational advantages of using non-linguistic context to convey
meaning; methods for measuring the effects of non-linguistic context on
meaning; the exploitation of corpora to analyze multimodal communication;
modelling agents for human-robot interactions; whether and how to ensure that
interlocutors have a coherent vision of the external world; modelling
different perspectives on the same non-linguistic scene; message
disambiguation.

Final Call for Papers:

September 19, 2017
Montpellier, France

Workshop Description and Topics:

We invite submissions on  foundational, conceptual, and practical issues
involving situated and multimodal communication. Relevant questions include
but are not limited to:

- What is the nature of the non-linguistic context?
- What is the range of ways that gesture and speech exploit the non-linguistic
context and how do they exploit it differently?
- What are the practical and/or computational advantages in using
non-linguistic context to convey meaning?
- How can we measure the effects of non-linguistic context on meaning?
- How do we exploit corpora to address the task of analysing multimodal
communication?
- How should we model agents for human-robot interactions?
- Should we ensure that interlocutors' vision of the external world is
coherent? If so, how do we do this?
- How do we model cases in which different interlocutors adopt different
perspectives on the same non-linguistic context?
- How do we handle the need to disambiguate a message?

Invited Speakers:

Cynthia Matuszek, University of Maryland, Baltimore County
Siddharth Narayanaswamy, University of Oxford

Important Dates:

Deadline for submission: 13 July 2017
Notification of acceptance: 7 August 2017
Deadline for camera-ready version: 4 September 2017
Workshop Date: 19 September 2017

Submission:

We invite anonymized submissions of 5 pages (excluding references). Because
accepted workshop papers will be published together with the general program
papers, we ask you to follow the formatting guidelines for the IWCS general
program:

https://www.lirmm.fr/iwcs2017/iwcs_instructions.php

Papers should be submitted through EasyChair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=iwcs2017

For each accepted paper, we will decide whether to have an oral or poster
presentation, depending on reviewer suggestions and the overall workshop
schedule.

Support:

We are very grateful for sponsorship from the Scottish Informatics and
Computer Science Alliance (SICSA) for holding this workshop.

More information:

For more information, visit the workshop webpage:
https://sites.google.com/site/sitcomfoundations/

or contact Julie Hunter: juliejoanna.hunter at upf.edu

Organizers:

Nicholas Asher