28.1058, Fund Drive 2017

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 2 15:47:56 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1058. Thu Mar 02 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1058, Fund Drive 2017

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2017 10:47:47
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fund Drive 2017

Dear Colleagues,

It’s Spring again, and time to support the LINGUIST List, your linguistic news
channel, providing verified and reliable information, your daily portion of –
relatively – light entertainment, for some - a forum for discussion, for some
– a bridge to the world, for some – a foot in the door to the career as a
linguist or language professional. We have readers in all countries of the
world and we span across linguistic disciplines. All year round we, the
editors, try to be invisible and simply provide a good service. Today I would
like to call for donations to the LINGUIST List.

Linguist List has served you since December 1990. It started as a mailing
list, but as the internet and the digital media have changed over the years,
so did the LINGUIST List. If you only read the emails sent through the mailing
list, you miss out on so much. Just a couple of days ago we broke 50 thousand
followers on social media. That’s a lot of people interested in linguistics!
We are a huge community. We strive to keep up with technology and we keep
introducing new services. Last year we launched GeoLing
(http://geoling.linguistlist.org/), displaying linguistically relevant points
on an interactive map. And if you don’t want to bother reading, just ask
Amazon Alexa! Alexa knows everything published on the LINGUIST List.

As a matter of principle, we do not charge membership fees from the users. We
believe that the financial support to the LINGUIST List needs to remain
totally voluntary. However, our operations cost real money. We pay for our web
servers, we pay a salary to a programmer, we pay tuitions, health insurance
and modest salaries to the students of linguistics who, as editors, work on
your submissions on a daily basis. To serve you in the best way we can, to
continue distributing linguistic news, to update the webpages and stay abreast
with the latest technology – we need your donations. All those who can afford
it and want to support the linguistic community world-wide, now you have a
chance to do so.

Please support the LINGUIST List. Donate now!

-Malgosia Cavar and the LINGUIST List Team

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.