28.1147, Calls: Gen Ling, Historical Ling, Ling & Lit, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Estonia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 7 15:31:10 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1147. Tue Mar 07 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1147, Calls: Gen Ling, Historical Ling, Ling & Lit, Socioling, Text/Corpus Ling/Estonia

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 10:31:03
From: Helle Metslang [metslang at ut.ee]
Subject: Variation in Language, Literature, Folklore, and Music

Full Title: Variation in Language, Literature, Folklore, and Music

Date: 07-Dec-2017 - 08-Dec-2017
Location: Tartu, Estonia
Contact Person: Piret Voolaid
Meeting Email: piret at folklore.ee
Web Site: https://www.folklore.ee/CEES/2017/akonve_e.htm

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 25-May-2017

Meeting Description:

Variation is a universal phenomenon permeating language, culture, and the
entire worldview, and as such connects the different domains explored by the
Centre of Excellence in Estonian Studies. We invite you to discuss the issues
related to specific and common in variation in language, literature, folklore,
and music, and the confluences and connections between different variations.
The conference also features round-table discussions on the methods for
studying variation and problems concerned with data (large and small
databases, so-called bad data). We are open for suggestions for workshops,
especially those dealing with interdisciplinary topics.

Call for Papers:

We invite you to discuss the issues related to specific and common in
variation in language, literature, folklore, and music, and the confluences
and connections between different variations. The conference also features
round-table discussions on the methods for studying variation and problems
concerned with data (large and small databases, so-called bad data). We are
open for suggestions for workshops, especially those dealing with
interdisciplinary topics.

We expect presentations on different aspects of variation, for example:

- Synchronic and diachronic variation, levels of variation (individual, local,
regional, historical), comparison of variants (registers, dialects, genres),
factors influencing variation; methods for studying variation; variation in
web environments
- Intra-linguistic factors of linguistic variation (e.g. system constraints,
regularities of linguistic changes)
- Extra-linguistic factors of linguistic variation (e.g. extra-linguistic
context of language varieties, contacts with other languages and language
varieties, language planning)
- Linguistic variations in folklore, variations in writer’s choices, usage of
dialects in fiction
- Variation as the main basis of dynamics of folklore, variation as an issue
of typologisation

Working languages of the conference are Estonian, English, Russian, and
German.

Please register and submit the heading and abstract (up to 300 words) of your
20-minute presentation through the conference registration form
http://folklore.ee/CEES/regform.html.

Important Dates:

April 13 – Proposals for workshops
April 24 – Announcement of workshops
May 25 – Submission of abstracts (both for workshops and the main section)
June 10 – Approval of abstracts

The conference is supported by the European Union through the European
Regional Development Fund (Centre of Excellence in Estonian Studies), and
research projects PUT 475 and IUT 22-5 of the Estonian Research Council.
https://www.folklore.ee/CEES/2017/akonve_e.htm

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.

          http://multitree.org/