28.1152, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Intern, Expert System Enterprise Corp.

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 7 16:49:19 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1152. Tue Mar 07 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1152, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Intern, Expert System Enterprise Corp.

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 11:49:16
From: Barbara Storti [bstorti at expertsystem.com]
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Intern, Expert System Enterprise Corp., Maryland, USA

University or Organization: Expert System Enterprise Corp.
Job Location: Maryland, USA
Web Address: www.expertsystem.com
Job Title: Knowledge Engineer Intern
Job Rank: Other

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Company profile:

Expert System’s patented technology enriches natural language text with
semantic metadata which can then be used for search engines, data analysis,
media monitoring, question/answer interfaces, and more. Our clients are
companies and government agencies of all sizes that have taken the next
technological step in their knowledge management practices by extending their
coverage to the ever-increasing amount of so-called “unstructured” text.

Job Description:

Expert System Enterprise is currently seeking an Intern, for a period of 6
months, to join our Knowledge Engineering team in our Rockville, MD office.
“Knowledge Engineering” refers to the technical aspects of building and
maintaining a knowledge/information management system. Knowledge engineers use
taxonomies, write linguistic rules for document categorization and information
extraction, and curate lists of known entities for extraction purposes. The
successful candidate must have a good command of logical reasoning and natural
language grammar.

Expert System will train the successful candidate to use our proprietary
development tools to customize our software for use by customers.

Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Write linguistic rules for categorization and extraction
- Measure accuracy of customized text analytics software
- Maintain development corpora for rule writing and quality assessment

Qualifications and skill requirements:
- Currently majoring or minoring in linguistics or a related field (computer
science students will also be considered)
- Understanding of natural language grammar and use
- Excellent analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills

Preferred skills and experience:
- Self-motivated
- Ability to work on a team
- Problem solving
- Proficiency in a scripting language such as Python

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Ms. Barbara Storti

Email Address for Applications: careers at expertsystem.com
Web Address for Applications: http://www.expertsystem.com/career/knowledge-engineer-intern-rockville/
Contact Information:
	Barbara Storti
	Email: bstorti at expertsystem.com

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.