28.1154, Calls: Nahuatl, Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Historical Ling,Text/Corpus Ling/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 7 17:58:45 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1154. Tue Mar 07 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1154, Calls: Nahuatl, Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Historical Ling,Text/Corpus Ling/Poland

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 12:58:37
From: Robert Borges [r.borges at al.uw.edu.pl]
Subject: First European Nahuatl Conference in Memory of James Lockhart

Full Title: First European Nahuatl Conference in Memory of James Lockhart

Date: 17-Nov-2017 - 18-Nov-2017
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Contact Person: Justyna Olko
Meeting Email: nahuatl2017 at al.uw.edu.pl
Web Site: http://encounters.al.uw.edu.pl/eng/First-European-Nahuatl-Conference

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Language(s): Nahuatl, Central (nhn)

Call Deadline: 15-Apr-2017

Meeting Description:

First European Nahuatl Conference in Memory of James Lockhart
Faculty of “Artes Liberales”, University of Warsaw, 17-18 November 2017

For the last ten years, the University of Warsaw has been establishing its
presence on the world map of Mesoamerican studies with growing intensity. Our
special field of expertise is the study of Nahuatl language and culture in a
way that bridges disciplinary and chronological divides, as well as barriers
between the academy and society. Thanks to support from the European Research
Council, the Foundation for Polish Science and other funding agencies in
Poland, we have been able to launch multidisciplinary team projects focusing
on Nahuatl studies. Our research is particularly nourished by two traditions:
the old school of European Nahuatl scholarship, going back to Eduard Seler and
his numerous successors in Europe and beyond; and the New Philology
established by James Lockhart, a teacher and mentor to numerous researchers in
the US, Europe and Mexico. The Mexican nahuatlamatinih, Ángel María Garibay,
Miguel León-Portilla, Alfredo López Austin and Luis Reyes García began the
crucial work of calling attention to the need to recognize the rightful place
of Nahuatl and of indigenous scholars in academia. And the Nahuatl literary
tradition, which goes back to pre-Hispanic times, would not be alive today if
it were not for modern Nahua writers. For the last several decades, they have
been safeguarding and enriching a heritage which is both theirs and
humanity’s, carrying it into the future.

The European Nahuatl Conference acknowledges the importance of these
traditions. We propose to use them as a foundation, on the one hand, to
promote collaboration among all scholars of Nahuatl, indigenous and
non-indigenous, and on the other hand, to transcend barriers between the
disciplines, between research topics, and between the past and the present.
Bridging the latter disjunction in scholarship is especially important because
the reinforcement of historical identity is crucial to the empowerment of
indigenous people today. For this reason, and drawing from our own Polish
historical experience of cultural suppression and (dis)continuity, as well as
our struggle against the threat of cultural, linguistic and political erasure,
we have given special focus in our teaching, research and revitalization
activities to highlighting the fundamental continuity between the lives of
indigenous people in the past and in the present. Warsaw has become a space
for Nahuatl-speaking researchers to continue their studies and participate in
workshops related to their cultural heritage. Part of this initiative is the
monolingual editorial series, Totlahtol, aimed at promoting indigenous
literacy. Together with our partners in Mexico, we have organized and
conducted numerous capacity-building workshops and events for indigenous
researchers, students, teachers and activists. The decolonization of
ethnohistorical knowledge, the revitalization of Nahuatl language and culture
and the empowerment of its people are aims that are integrated into all of our
projects. We believe that Nahuatl meetings in Warsaw will become an important
forum for working toward these goals, as well as rethinking the traditional
methodologies of historical, anthropological and linguistic studies.

We hope that you will join us in Warsaw for two days of fruitful exchanges,
inspiring discussions and camaraderie in the First European Nahuatl
Conference.

Call for Papers:

Please submit abstracts via EasyChair: https://easychair.org/cfp/ENAHUATL2017

Successful proposals should address one or more of the following topics:

- Older/colonial and/or modern Nahua language and culture
- Nahua ethnohistory: colonial period
- Anthropological views of Nahua culture, Nahua religion, beliefs, rituals
- Nahuatl linguistics
- Cross-cultural transfer between the Nahuas and Europe
- Nahuatl oral and literary traditions
- Teaching and revitalization of Nahuatl
- Indigenous research (theory, methodology, concrete projects)

Keynote Speakers:

- Michel Launey
- John F. Schwaller
- Camilla Townsend

Academic Committee:

- Agnieszka Brylak
- Robert Borges
- Louise Burkhart
- José Antonio Flores Farfán
- Ann Jensen
- Julia Madajczak
- Refugio Nava Nava
- Justyna Olko
- John Sullivan
- Stephanie Wood

Organizers:

- Agnieszka Brylak
- Julia Madajczak
- Justyna Olko
- John Sullivan

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.

          http://multitree.org/