28.1262, Calls: Anthropological Ling, Lang Documentation, Pragmatics, Typology/Finland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 14 20:40:43 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1262. Tue Mar 14 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1262, Calls: Anthropological Ling, Lang Documentation, Pragmatics, Typology/Finland

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 16:40:32
From: Seppo Kittilä [seppo.kittila at helsinki.fi]
Subject: The Expression of Knowledge: Epistemicity and Beyond

Full Title: The Expression of Knowledge: Epistemicity and Beyond
Short Title: Knowling

Date: 23-Aug-2017 - 25-Aug-2017
Location: Helsinki, Finland
Contact Person: Seppo Kittilä
Meeting Email: knowling-2017 at helsinki.fi
Web Site: http://www.linguistics.fi/knowling-2017/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Language Documentation; Pragmatics; Typology

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2017

Meeting Description:

In recent years, the study of evidentiality and epistemicity has expanded from
typologies of information source to a more comprehensive view on the
expression of knowledge. Also languages without grammatical evidentials have
gained foothold in studies of evidentiality (e.g., Diewald & Smirnova 2010).
In other words, the focus of study has shifted from pure grammaticalized
systems towards the semantic notion of source of information. Evidentiality
has increasingly been investigated in relation to neighboring functional
categories such as epistemic stance (cf. Englebretson 2007), and it has also
been studied from an interactional and socio-cultural perspective (Mushin
2001; Gipper 2011; Nuckolls & Michael 2014).

Our goal is to extend the notion of expression of knowledge even further to
include any possible way of referring to how and why we know what we know.
This is not to diminish the relevance of epistemicity, but rather to broaden
the perspective, i.e., our goal is to arrive at a holistic view of knowledge
expression. The expression of knowledge to be broached is thus not confined to
grammaticalized evidentials or epistemic markers, but also other possible ways
of referring to knowledge will be of interest. Consequently, both
contributions that discuss the interplay of different ways of knowledge
expression and more traditional, narrower approaches are equally welcome.
Furthermore, we are interested in how language ecology shapes the linguistic
coding of knowledge. For example, ways of referring to knowledge vary
according to genre and speech situation (Aikhenvald 2004: 310). Moreover, the
information acquired through mediated forms of discourse such as new media may
be encoded differently from more traditionally understood types of information
source such as hearsay (Aikhenvald 2014: 34).

2nd Call for Papers:

Anonymous abstracts of no more than 500 words, excluding data and references,
should be submitted by March 31, 2017. Each abstract will be reviewed by (at
least) two members of the scientific committee. Notifications of acceptance
will be announced by April 30, 2017. The talks will be 30 minutes long: 20 min
for presentation and 10 min for discussion (including the 2–3 minutes needed
for changing rooms between talks).

The first day of the conference is reserved primarily for workshops. Workshop
convenors should submit a general description of the workshop (up to 1000
words) along with a list of speakers by March 31. The proposal should be sent
to the organizers at knowling-2017 at helsinki.fi. The participants of the
workshops are requested to submit their abstracts via Easychair as they will
go through the same evaluation process as the abstracts submitted to the
general session.

Please submit your abstract at:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=knowling2017.

For all correspondence concerning the symposium, please contact:
knowling-2017 at helsinki.fi.

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.

          http://multitree.org/