28.1354, Calls: Phonetics / Journal of Phonetics (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 20 15:26:02 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1354. Mon Mar 20 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1354, Calls:  Phonetics / Journal of Phonetics (Jrnl)

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2017 11:25:53
From: Timo B. Roettger [timo.roettger at uni-koeln.de]
Subject: Phonetics / Journal of Phonetics (Jrnl)

Full Title: Journal of Phonetics

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics

Call Deadline: 15-May-2017

Call for Papers
''Emerging Data Analysis in Phonetic Sciences''
Special Issue of Journal of Phonetics

Guest editors: Timo B. Roettger, Bodo Winter, Harald Baayen

Phonetics is chiefly concerned with the analysis of speech data. The
complexity of spoken language--both in production and in perception--poses
challenges to statistical analysis. Some of these challenges are unique to
phonetics; some are shared with related disciplines such as psycholinguistics.

The way data is analyzed in phonetics is in flux. New statistical libraries
are being released every day and phonetics is increasingly coming into contact
with other fields that have different methodological traditions. At the same
time, phonetics itself is advancing theoretically and empirically.

This special issue is devoted to data analysis in phonetics. We want to use
this opportunity to reflect on how data is currently analyzed in phonetic
research and how current practice could be improved. And we also want to look
ahead and discuss new methods that are becoming available to phoneticians. The
plan is to be both critical and constructive, with the goal of advancing data
analysis in phonetic research.

We invite two-page paper proposals on one of the following topics:

- Meta-analyses and reviews of existing methodological practices in phonetics
with recommendations for best practices based on analytical arguments or
numerical simulations;
- Demonstrations and tutorials of new data analysis techniques with examples
of phonetic data that discuss assumptions, advantages and disadvantages, as
well as how they differ from comparable approaches;
- Simulation studies (e.g. Type I error or power simulations) that address
topics relevant to phonetic data analysis practice;
- Comparative discussion of data analysis approaches relevant to particular
topics that are of specific interest to phoneticians, such as appropriate
random effects structures for designs with exact repetitions, analysis of
dyadic data and speech accommodation, the impact of normalization techniques
on statistical analyses etc.
We specifically discourage submissions that are primarily focused on
presenting new empirical results simply utilizing statistical analyses.

Two-page paper proposals should be submitted via email to Timo Roettger
(timo.roettger at uni-koeln.de) with cc to Bodo Winter (bodo at bodowinter.com) and
Harald Baayen (harald.baayen at gmail.com). The call for two-page paper proposals
ends May 15, 2017. Authors of selected proposals will be invited to submit
their full papers till September 15, 2017. Invited papers will undergo
standard Journal of Phonetics review processes and be subject to rejection in
the following two cases: when they do not meet the journal's standard or when
they are not likely to meet the targeted deadlines. All papers should be
targeted at the general readership of the Journal of Phonetics.

To advance transparency and openness, we require full paper submissions to
make all data and analysis code publically available.
https://www.journals.elsevier.com/journal-of-phonetics/call-for-papers/call-fo
r-papers-emerging-data-analysis-in-phonetic-sciences

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.