28.1464, Confs: Historical Ling, Phonetics, Phonology/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 23 18:02:21 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1464. Thu Mar 23 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1464, Confs: Historical Ling, Phonetics, Phonology/United Kingdom

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 14:02:13
From: James Kirby [j.kirby at ed.ac.uk]
Subject: 4th International Workshop on Sound Change

4th International Workshop on Sound Change
Short Title: WSC4

Date: 19-Apr-2017 - 22-Apr-2017
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact: James Kirby
Contact Email: j.kirby at ed.ac.uk
Meeting URL: http://lel.ed.ac.uk/wsc/

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Phonetics; Phonology

Meeting Description:

The 4th International Workshop on Sound Change (WSC4) will be held from 20-22
April 2017 at the University of Edinburgh in Edinburgh, Scotland. WSC4 is the
continuation of the highly successful workshop series that have previously
been held in Barcelona (2010), Kloster Seeon (2012) and Berkeley (2014). The
aim of this workshop series is to bring together scholars from a wide range of
theoretical and methodological backgrounds in order to foster truly
collaborative and interdisciplinary work on the actuation, evaluation,
transmission, and diffusion of sound change.

The theme of this workshop is “individuals, communities, and sound change”,
with special attention to the role of individual difference in the initiation
and propagation of change. By “individual differences”, we refer to those
psychological, sociological, genetic and/or behavioural differences between
the individuals who make up a speech community at the levels of production,
perception and cognitive representation.

Some questions we will consider in detail at this Workshop include:

- How do individual differences relate to community patterns?
- How do they affect variation?
- How do they affect the initiation of changes? Do they help us to identify
variation that is likely to lead to change?
- How do they affect the phonologisation of changes?
- How do they affect the propagation of changes?

We have asked our invited speakers to comment specifically on these issues.

Invited Speakers:

- Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero (Manchester)
- Alex Cristia (LCSP Paris)
- Dan Dediu and colleagues (MPI Nijmegen)
- Robin Dodsworth (NCSU)
- Penny Eckert (Stanford)
- Jonathan Harrington and colleagues (IPS Munich)
- Laurel MacKenzie (NYU)
- Jeff Mielke (NCSU)
- Alan Yu (Chicago)

Programme:

Please visit http://www.lel.ed.ac.uk/wsc/programme/ for details of the
workshop programme.

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.

          http://multitree.org/