28.1487, Featured Linguist: Osamu Sawada

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 24 16:40:25 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1487. Fri Mar 24 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1487, Featured Linguist: Osamu Sawada

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 12:40:09
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Linguist: Osamu Sawada

 Dear subscribers,

We are pleased to present to you our next featured linguist of the 2017 Fund
Drive: Osamu Sawada! Read his story and more on our blog or on our fund drive
web page:

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

I grew up in the family of linguists (my father is a linguist, my mother used
to be a school teacher), so it is not a coincidence that I became a linguist.
(My younger brother also became a linguist.) However, looking back, I see that
there were several important turning points and experiences that lead me to
the field of linguistics.

I was born and grew up in Japan, but when I was 10, I had the chance to spend
a year in Boston with my family. There, we had many positive experiences
interacting with people/students from various cultural and linguistic
backgrounds. My brother and I went to a public school, and the atmosphere was
one of respect for diversity. Thinking back now, this positive experience
affects my stance as a scholar/teacher.

When I returned to Japan, however, the center of my daily life gradually
shifted to tennis (soft tennis). In high school, I participated in national
athletic meetings, and/but I neglected my school studies. I did, however,
learn the importance of continuation and preparation through tennis.

It was in a rounin period, ‘a preparation period between schools’ that I
studied in a responsible way with a true spirit of inquiry. I became
interested in the grammars of English and Old Japanese. After being accepted
into Waseda University, I continued playing tennis, but at the same time, I
took various linguistics courses, including syntax, pragmatics, and functional
linguistics. Although I also earned a teacher’s license, I felt that I wanted
to study linguistics further, and I decided to enter graduate school.

(...)

Read more:
http://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/featured-linguist-joao-costa

Please support The LINGUIST List editors and activities and donate during the
Fund Drive 2017. LINGUIST List really needs your suppport!

Thank you all!
-Your LL team

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.