28.1512, An urgent word from Clare, Featured Staff of the week!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Mar 27 14:50:30 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1512. Mon Mar 27 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1512, An urgent word from Clare, Featured Staff of the week!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 10:50:23
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear LINGUIST Listers,

My name is Clare, and you may know me from the occasional list posting... or
somewhat more-than-occasional email correspondence! I'm an editor for the
LINGUIST List, and am now almost halfway through my MS in Computational
Linguistics at Indiana University. I'm writing this letter today to tell you
more about myself, in order to express how grateful I am, and how so many of
us should be, that an organization like the LINGUIST List exists.

I started working at the LINGUIST List as a summer intern in May of 2016.
Hearing back about the summer internship was incredibly exciting for me, and
arriving here in person didn't disappoint! As an intern, I spent my summer
working on a Yiddish speech corpus, with the eventual goal of developing new
speech and language technologies. Before long, I was able to take on some
additional duties, like editing some Jobs, Supports and Reviews postings for
the List. I was even able to attend the LSA annual meeting this year with some
of my colleagues here, to represent our organization, learn, and meet other
linguists.

I'm lucky to have experienced the many different facets of the LINGUIST List,
and to have directly benefited from it. The work I do not only allows me to
support my graduate studies, but it enriches me professionally and personally
every single day. The only thing that makes this possible the generosity of
our readers. Your past donations have completely changed the course of my
growth as a linguist, and your donations this year and in future years will do
the same for many more students.

It may seem an exaggeration to say that you, personally, can make such a
difference, especially if you can only make a small donation. But it's
completely true: you personally, and the other 24,999 subscribers to our list,
have the chance now to come together and continue to support new linguists the
way you have already supported me. You aren't just donating to the LINGUIST
List–you're investing in the future of the field of linguistics.

Thank you for reading, and thank you again for your ongoing generosity. And if
you haven't already, please visit us at http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/ and
consider showing your support today.

Sincerely,
Clare Harshey

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.