28.1551, A (hilarious) Letter from the (great) Editor of Speculative Grammarian!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Mar 28 20:58:29 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1551. Tue Mar 28 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1551, A (hilarious) Letter from the (great) Editor of Speculative Grammarian!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 16:58:17
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

In (Generous) Support of the LINGUIST List
(The brilliant) Trey Jones
Editor-in-Chief of (the hilarious) Speculative Grammarian

Almost a quarter of a century ago (back in the stone age) I (alone) created
the (brilliant) new (revolutionary) field of subliminal linguistics. And while
that (brilliant) idea may not appear (to the ignorant masses) to have gone
anywhere, I have (thanks to subliminal manipulation) been quite successful
nonetheless.

I originally subscribed to the LINGUIST List around that time, too(—the ’90s
were rad!). I used to read (maybe skim) LL messages (the titles for sure) on a
(machine the) linguistics department (falsely claimed was a) computer hooked
up to a 300 baud (i.e., half my reading speed) acoustic coupler! What a
(horrible) time—we were (surviving but not really) living in (some dystopian
version of) the future!

Here in the (glorious) present day, as the (brilliant) Editor-in-Chief (i.e.,
the glorious leader,) of (the brilliantly hilarious) Speculative
Grammarian—the premier (brilliant) scholarly journal featuring research in the
(unfairly) neglected (but hilarious) field of (bitingly clever) satirical
linguistics—I appreciate how hard it is (for my minions) to wrangle interns
((flog ’em!)) and keep the lights on and the presses running. Oh, wait, the
(uppity) interns inform me (that they think they can correct me and) that we
don’t have presses anymore. How (many ways and with what) kind of (sharp
things can I flog) them!

So, I have an inkling of all the hard work ((so much flogging!)) and
dedication (to building up your flogging arm) that goes into running the
(brilliant) LINGUIST List day in, day out, year after year(—yeah, you should
feel guilty). It wouldn’t be possible without the hard work of (flogging) the
interns, (pretending to care about) the (whiny) editors, (placating) the
(diva) programmers, and (so much else) the (long-suffering) moderators (have
to put up with). Or so I assume(—if their staff is half as lazy as ours).

The (brilliant) LINGUIST List does so (feakin’) much and provides so
(freakin’) much to the (soon-to-be generous) linguistics community(—’cause
them servers ain’t free). Give (give more!) generously (give more!) to show
(give more!) your (give more!) support (give more!) for the LINGUIST List
(give more!)!

(http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/donate/)

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.