28.1575, FYI: Clickbait Challenge 2017 - 1st Call for Participation

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 30 18:00:30 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1575. Thu Mar 30 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1575, FYI: Clickbait Challenge 2017 - 1st Call for Participation

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 13:52:16
From: Tim Gollub [tim.gollub at uni-weimar.de]

 Clickbait Detection Shared Task
http://www.clickbait-challenge.org/
Contact: clickbait at webis.de

Call for Participation

Introduction:

We invite you to participate in our shared task on the detection of clickbait
posts in social media. The term ''clickbait'' refers to social media posts
that are designed to entice its readers into clicking an accompanying link:

 - A Man Falls Down And Cries For Help Twice. The Second Time, My Jaw Drops.
 - 9 Out Of 10 Americans Are Completely Wrong About This Mind-Blowing Fact.
 - Here’s What Actually Reduces Gun Violence.

Clickbait detection plays a vital part in the current discourse about the boon
and bane of social media, as clickbait is a major vehicle for phenomenons such
as echo chambers, social bots, and fake news.

Objective:

The research objective of the shared task is to foster the development of
detection technology for linguistically complex phenomena, such as clickbait
in social media. While social media providers typically rely, for the
detection of clickbait, on context features such as users' clicking behavior,
we set the focus on clickbait detection carried out with the more general
means of a content analysis based on natural language processing and image
analysis. For each social media post in our datasets, we hence provide the
text and images of the post as well as the main content of the advertised
article.

How To Participate:

- Register for the Clickbait Challenge at http://www.clickbait-challenge.org/.
- Develop and train a clickbait classifier on our clickbait datasets.
- Deploy the trained classifier on a virtual machine we assign to you.
- Use tira.io to self-evaluate the deployed classifier on the test set.
- Tell us about your approach in a paper.
- Attend the workshop hosted at a Google campus in Germany.

Important Dates:

Registration opens: March 31, 2017.
Evaluation period: July 10 -- July 31, 2017.
Paper submission: August 31, 2017.
Workshop: TBD.

Organizers:

Tim Gollub, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
Martin Potthast, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
Matthias Hagen, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.
Benno Stein, Bauhaus-Universität Weimar.

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.