28.1578, Calls: Cog Sci, Lang Acquisition, Lang Doc, Psycholing/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 30 18:28:06 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-1578. Thu Mar 30 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.1578, Calls: Cog Sci, Lang Acquisition, Lang Doc, Psycholing/Netherlands

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 14:27:58
From: Marisa Casillas [marisa.casillas at mpi.nl]
Subject: Many Paths to Language Workshop

Full Title: Many Paths to Language Workshop
Short Title: MPaL

Date: 06-Oct-2017 - 08-Oct-2017
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Contact Person: Marisa Casillas
Meeting Email: mpal at mpi.nl
Web Site: http://www.mpi.nl/events/mpal

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Language Acquisition; Language Documentation; Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 18-Jun-2017

Meeting Description:

Children show astonishing variation in the way they acquire their native
language(s)—each developmental milestone in both production and comprehension
is marked by meaningful individual differences. This 3-day workshop explores:

- Children’s linguistic and cultural environments, their non-linguistic
skills, and the structural properties of the languages they are acquiring as
possible sources of variation, alongside
- Implications of this variation for the mechanisms that drive and support
child language acquisition given the overall robustness of learning in the
face of this variability.

Invited Speakers:

Damián Blasi (University of Zurich)
Erika Hoff (Florida Atlantic University)
Elena Lieven (University of Manchester)

The workshop will also include small-group “work” sessions aimed at advancing
interdisciplinary discussion and overcoming methodological hurdles in
documenting and interpreting variation in this context. We hope to have a mix
of theoretical and practical topics represented.

Questions? Please contact us at mpal at mpi.nl

Important Dates:

- Abstract submission deadline: 18 June 2017
- Notification of acceptance: 1 July 2017
- Workshop: 6–8 October 2017

Call for Papers:

MPaL 2017: Many Paths to Language Workshop
6–8 October 2017
Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics,
Nijmegen, The Netherlands.

We invite researchers from all fields to submit their work on variation in
language acquisition by 18 June 2017 (23.59 CET). Example topics and more
information can be found at http://www.mpi.nl/events/mpal

Work Sessions:

The workshop will also include small-group “work” sessions aimed at advancing
interdisciplinary discussion and overcoming methodological hurdles in
documenting and interpreting variation in this context. We hope to have a mix
of theoretical and practical topics represented.

Abstract Submission:

We invite abstracts for oral or poster presentation. The body of each abstract
must be in English and anonymous. Abstracts should also indicate the current
state of the work (i.e., complete or in progress—both will be considered).
Abstracts must be submitted as plain text (max. 5000 characters) via the
workshop webpage: http://www.mpi.nl/events/mpal/abstract . Figures and tables
may be uploaded together with the abstract in .PNG, .JPG, .TIFF, or .PDF
format (up to four files of max. 5 MB each). During abstract submission,
authors will have the option to suggest a topic for the small-group sessions
and to nominate themselves for a travel award (see below). Authors will be
notified by 1 July 2017.

Travel Awards:

First authors may apply for a travel award at abstract submission. Priority
will be given to students, early career researchers, and participants from
emergent countries. If applying for a travel award, be ready to provide basic
information about where you will be traveling from and the approximate cost of
your travel.

Virtual Participation:

We will do our best to ensure virtual participation for those who would like
to attend remotely or who are unable to present because of
government-implemented travel restrictions.

Questions? Please contact us at mpal at mpi.nl

Important Dates:

- Abstract submission deadline: 18 June 2017
- Notification of acceptance: 1 July 2017
- Workshop: 6–8 October 2017

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.

          http://multitree.org/