28.2010, FYI: Towards More Effective Language Pedagogy

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 1 14:59:04 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2010. Mon May 01 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2010, FYI: Towards More Effective Language Pedagogy

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 10:58:33
From: Mohammad Warsi [mwarsi at wustl.edu]
Subject: Towards More Effective Language Pedagogy

 Efforts are being made these days to enrich teaching second language in United
States and elsewhere at all level. Americans academicians and scholars are now
following suit in raising children to be bilingual or even trilingual. So why
do we seek to learn languages other than our mother tongue? Why spend hours
memorizing the genders of new nouns, different verb conjugations and how to
pronounce letters in a new alphabet? Each person has his own answer to this
question. Whether it is to communicate with a beloved grandparent, to stay
competitive in a global market or simply to increase your knowledge, it is
essential to learn culture in tandem with the language you are learning. We
need to understand culture in order to get the perspective of native speakers,
understand the history of the language, and so that we can visit the region in
which that language is spoken.

The use of technology adds yet another dimension to language pedagogy, as it
allows students to experience different cultural and traditional connotation
that are not accessible by grammatical text alone and gives them the
opportunity to understand the oral dialogues in real situation as well as
non-verbal behavior, such as tone of voice with accuracy. The use of
technology has changed the entire paradigms and narratives in language
pedagogy worldwide. Keeping in view of the recent changes in language
pedagogy, this edited volume will answer the questions and challenges faced by
the language pedagogue. This edited volume will analyze the different shades
of techniques that have played an important role and its effectiveness as
pedagogical tool in language teaching.

To address some of the pedagogical issues I am editing a book entitled
“Towards More Effective Language Pedagogy” by mid-June 2017. Keeping in view
your expertise, I would like to request to kindly contribute for this volume
by writing on any aspect of Language pedagogy. An early submission at your end
would greatly be appreciated (preferably by April 20, 2017). The paper should
be 15-20 pages long typed in single space on A4 size paper. Please follow the
format of LSA. Paper may be sent at: mwarsi at wustl.edu

                     Language Acquisition

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.