28.2087, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 4 15:28:04 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2087. Thu May 04 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2087, Confs: General Linguistics/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Date: Thu, 04 May 2017 11:27:57
From: Ally Rosen [allyrosen8 at gmail.com]
Subject: 7th Hunter Undergraduate Linguistics and Language Studies Conference

7th Hunter Undergraduate Linguistics and Language Studies Conference
Short Title: HULLS 7

Date: 05-May-2017 - 06-May-2017
Location: New York City, NY, USA
Contact: Alessandra Rosen
Contact Email: hc.linguisticsclub at gmail.com

The 7th Annual Hunter Undergraduate Linguistics and Language Conference is set
to take place on Friday, May 5 from 2:30-9pm in the Hunter College Glass
Cafeteria.

This year we are featuring original undergraduate research from Hunter
College, Brooklyn College, Queens College, Juniata College, University of
Toronto, and Carleton College. Our Keynote will feature Dr. Jonathan Rosa of
Stanford University.

Program:

2:30-3:00:
Welcome

3:00-3:20:
Hypocoristic Formation in French, Indonesian, and Javanese: The Case for
Contrast Preservation
Dan Brodkin, Carleton College

3:20-3:40:
Tone Perception of Native and Heritage Speakers of Cantonese
Melany Yuin, Brooklyn College

3:40-4:00:
Diachronic Perspectives on word order variation: Views on the Old English OV
to VO shift from the Anglo Saxon Chronicle
Cal Janik-Jones, University of Toronto

4:00-4:20:
French in War and Peace
Ashlynn Cobb, Juniata College

4:20-4:40: Break

4:40-5:00:
English Loanword Patterns in the Russian Language
Maggie Lykens, Juniata College

5:00-5:20:
African-French Creole and African American Vernacular English: A Comparison
Keyana Maria Thomas, Brooklyn College

5:20-5:40:
“I Gotta Feeling” The Social Meaning Behind got as compared to have
Lucas Ashby, Queens College

5:40- 6:40: Dinner

6:40-7:00:
“Yoga is Made for You”: Meta-Voicing Yoga Brand and Type
Alessandra Rosen, Hunter College

7:00-7:20:
What is to be Queer/ Cuir?
Paola Pineros, Hunter College

7:20-7:40:
The “Other” Other Kind of Coming Out: Multimodalities of Youtube and
Genderqueer Coming Out Discourse
Arianna Chinchilla, Hunter College

7:40-8:00: Break

8:00-9:00:
Keynote:
>From Bad Hombres to Bilingual Education: A Raciolinguistic Perspective on the
Analysis of Language and Society
Jonathon Rosa, Stanford University

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.

          http://multitree.org/