28.2143, FYI: CfP - 'Language and Religion' Book

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 8 20:32:16 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2143. Mon May 08 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2143, FYI: CfP - 'Language and Religion' Book

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

                       Fund Drive 2017
                   25 years of LINGUIST List!

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 08 May 2017 16:31:48
From: Stephen Pihlaja [s.pihlaja at newman.ac.uk]
Subject: CfP - 'Language and Religion' Book

 Hope you all are well.

I am currently working on an edited volume entitled ‘Language and Religion’
and would like to make an open call of chapter abstracts. The description of
the book is below, but my goal is to collect chapters that give backgrounds on
broader topics (like ‘Language, Religion, and Gender’) and present case
studies of research that highlight the use of empirical linguistic analysis.
Ideally, the book will be of interest to both scholars working in language and
those working in sociology of religion/theology. The proposal is being
prepared for Cambridge University Press, who have reviewed the initial
proposal and requested chapter abstracts before sending the full proposal out
for peer review.

If you are interested, please do send me an e-mail and I will forward you the
full initial proposal. Abstracts will be due by the end of the summer, with
full chapters due in the spring of next year.

‘Language and Religion’ Abstract

While language has played a key role in the development of religion and in
descriptions of spiritual experience, empirical research into its role is rare
particularly compared to other aspects of social life. For institutional
religious practice, language is a key part of constructing doctrine, with
arguments about the use and meanings of words consistently the source of
conflict both among religions and within particular faith traditions. Language
remains a fundamentally important element for structuring spiritual experience
and developing practices and beliefs around faith traditions. This book,
therefore, fills an important gap in the literature and establishes an
emerging inter-disciplinary field, Language and Religion. It aims to collect
the most recent empirical research into the use of language in religion from a
variety of theoretical and methodical perspectives, with a focus on empirical
analysis of discourse. The book will collect research that includes a broad
spectrum of different researchers, looking at institutional discourse within
organised religions, discourse around spirituality and spiritual experience,
and discourse about role of religion and spirituality in society. The book
will broaden readership past traditional linguistics audiences to scholars in
religion and theology and acquire chapters that look beyond Western
Christianity, particularly empirical approaches to discourse about and around
Islamic theology, New Atheism and secularism, New Age and mysticism, and/or
minority religious movements and so-called ‘cults’.

Indicative Chapters:

- Language, religion, and gender
- Metaphor in religious talk
- Digital religion
- Language and doctrine
- Religion and rhetoric
- Discourses of eco-theology
- Language in religious communities
- Political discourse and religion
- Interpretation and translation of sacred texts
- Language in conflict around religion
- The language of new atheism
- Language learning and religious talk
- Language in religious education

Many thanks
S.

Dr Stephen Pihlaja /'pihlaija/
Senior Lecturer in Stylistics
English Subject Area
www.stephenpihlaja.com
http://tinyurl.com/EnglishAtNewman

Forthcoming special issue ‘Metaphor in Religion and Spirituality’
https://benjamins.com/#catalog/journals/msw.7.1/main

Membership Secretary for the Poetics and Linguistics Association
www.pala.ac.uk

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

                       Fund Drive 2017

This year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $70,000. This money
will go to help keep the List running by supporting all of our
Student Editors for the coming year.

Don't forget to check out the Fund Drive 2017 site!

http://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

We collect donations via the eLinguistics Foundation, a
registered 501(c) Non Profit organization with the federal tax
number 45-4211155. The donations can be offset against your
federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers
only). For more information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact
your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program. Contact
your human resources department and send us the necessary form.