28.2216, FYI: Call for Chapters - Early Language Learning Policies

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon May 15 19:04:13 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2216. Mon May 15 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2216, FYI: Call for Chapters - Early Language Learning Policies

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 15:04:06
From: Subhan Zein [subhanzein at gmail.com]

Dear colleagues,

We were recently in touch with an Editor of a leading international publishing
company, and she encouraged us to develop a volume proposal on policy on early
language learning. The working title of our proposed volume is ‘Early language
learning policies in the 21st century’.

The perceived value of languages in the rapidly changing political, social and
economic landscapes of the 21st century has led to the increased provision of
languages in the early school curriculum. One of the most notable features of
early language learning policy is that a foreign or second language is taught
as a school subject (Enever, Moon, & Raman, 2009; Garton, Copland & Burns,
2011) or as a medium of instruction (Hamid, Nguyen, & Baldauf, 2014). It has
been nearly two decades since ‘the third wave’ of early language learning
policies occurred in the late 1990s (Johnstone, 2009). However, this
scholarship has placed emphasis mainly on English in particular regions such
as Asia (see Spolsky & Moon, 2012), leaving us with little knowledge regarding
the practice and outcomes of policies on other world languages, including
French, German, Arabic, Mandarin and Spanish.

To date, there has been no volume that compiles studies on early foreign
language policies from across the world including the regions of Africa,
Europe, the Americas and the Pacific. Furthering the debates on early language
policies worldwide is not only timely but also significant to understand
policy expectations of languages in the new economy and the outcomes of
policies. The volume is expected to enhance scholarship on early language
learning and inform policymaking at the global level.

We have had contributors for a number of languages and countries, but we still
welcome chapter proposals/abstracts (500 words) from scholars focusing on
early second/foreign language learning policies on the following languages:

- English in any country in South America (1 chapter proposal)
- French in any country in the Caribbean or the Pacific (1 chapter proposal)
- Arabic in any country worldwide except Bangladesh (1 chapter proposal)
- Chinese/Mandarin in any country or region worldwide except the Oceania (1
chapter proposal)

Please note that although we expect contributors to situate their discussion
within the local linguistic ecology, we do not accept proposals on first early
language learning. For example, we do not accept proposals on Arabic when it
is spoken as a first language in any country in the Middle East, but we
welcome those on Arabic in countries where the language is spoken as a second
or foreign language.

Research-based and review-based proposals are welcome; and so are sole and
co-authored proposals. Please use the APA 6th Edition for your proposal format
and references. There are no publishing fees associated with this publication.

Your proposal needs to employ Baldauf & Kaplan’s (2005) framework of
language-in-education policy goals to analyse the policy context and make
relevant recommendations in any of the following areas: 1) Access policy (e.g.
starting age, length of instruction); 2) Community policy; 3) Resources
policy; 4) Curriculum policy; 5) Methodology policy; 6) Materials policy; 7)
Personnel policy (e.g. teacher recruitment, teacher education); 8) Evaluation
policy.

Please submit your proposals to us (m.zein at uq.edu.au and m.hamid at uq.edu.au) by
30 September 2017. Notification of acceptance will be made on 15 October 2017.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thank you very much, and we look forward to receiving your proposals.

Kind regards,

Subhan Zein and M. Obaid Hamid, School of Education, The University of
Queensland, Australia

Subhan Zein, PhD teaches at School of Education, the University of Queensland,
Australia. His articles have appeared in Applied Linguistics Review,
Professional Development in Education, Journal of Education for Teaching:
International Research and Pedagogy, among others; while his co-edited volumes
will be published by Routledge and Multilingual Matters. He is Editor-in-Chief
of Language Education in Asia.

M. Obaid Hamid, PhD is a Senior Lecturer in TESOL Education at the University
of Queensland, Australia. His research focuses on the policy and practice of
TESOL education in developing societies. He is Co-editor of Language planning
for medium of instruction in Asia (Routledge, 2014). He is on the editorial
board of Current Issues in Language Planning, English Teaching Practice and
Critique and Journal of Asia TEFL and on the Advisory Board of Language
Education in Asia.