28.2241, The Spring 2017 LINGUIST List Fund Drive is over! Thank you!

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 17 18:13:11 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2241. Wed May 17 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2241, The Spring 2017 LINGUIST List Fund Drive is over! Thank you!

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Amanda Foster <amanda at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 14:12:54
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]

Dear Colleagues, Linguist List supporters, linguistics and language lovers,

The Spring 2017 LINGUIST List Fund Drive is over! With more than $ 40,000
donated by 814 of you, we've decided to close the Fund Drive for this season.
We are so grateful for all of your donations, big and small, for all your
support and letters of encouragement during this time -- and the rest of the
year, too! We could not keep operating without your enthusiasm and generosity.
There is no Linguistics Online Community without Linguists actively involved.

This year's Fund Drive received some amazing contributions from the crew at
Speculative Grammarian. To them we are especially grateful! When we contacted
the Chief Editor, Trey Jones, shortly before the Fund Drive, the whole team
immediately jumped by our side and contributed riddles, puzzles, jokes and
prizes, most of which you've encountered in our great Geoling Treasure Hunts!
If you've enjoyed the fun they provided, there's a lot more to be found on
their website which is really worth a read (trust us): http://specgram.com/

We'd also like to thank our Advisors, who have collectively donated more than
any institution in the challenges! They contributed with their donations, and
also with their advice, and by cheering on the competitions. Thank you, also,
to those of our supporting publishers who have generously donated the prizes
for our lotteries, among others Edinburgh University Press, John Benjamins,
Morgan & Claypool Publishers, Multilingual Matters, Springer and University of
Nebraska Press!

Now after all these special thanks, we really want you, readers, to know how
much we appreciate your donations, because without them, we wouldn't exist.
This support shows us that we are not alone in our cause. We believe that in
today's world, with the rising importance of social media and news at the
center of our societies, maintaining a free, neutral scientific platform is
truly crucial, it is in fact an obligation for all those who can contribute.
In this age more than ever we need to, we have to use this great opportunity
to be united as Language Scientists across the world.

We are aware that asking for donations once a year does not suit every wallet.
So we now would like to make you aware of two ways you can support the
LINGUIST List with smaller gifts, or even for free!

1) Becoming a recurring donor: with the instructions from this link, you can
set up smaller donations to give us, for the amount and recurrence of your
choice: http://linguistlist.org/issues/26/26-2068.html

2) AmazonSmile: this option will cost you nothing and make a big difference
for us! You can ask Amazon to donate 0.5% of the price of your eligible
AmazonSmile purchases to the LINGUIST List by shopping here:
https://smile.amazon.com/ch/45-4211155! Just follow the link and make sure
that your charity is set to the eLinguistics Foundation, the 501(c) non-profit
organization that supports LINGUIST List.

And as always, if you cannot donate monetarily, you can help us out in other
ways, such as liking, sharing, and re-tweeting our Fund Drive posts on social
media. If you like LINGUIST List and have benefited from our free service,
tell us and your friends about LINGUIST List!

Linguistically yours,

– The LINGUIST List Crew
Malgosia, Damir, Amanda, Clare, Mike, Yue, Ken, Jacob, Helen and Robert