28.2244, Jobs: English; Anthropological Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Typology: Programmer, Max Planck Institute

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 18 14:29:19 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2244. Thu May 18 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2244, Jobs: English; Anthropological Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Typology: Programmer, Max Planck Institute

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 18 May 2017 10:27:28
From: Robert Forkel [forkel at shh.mpg.de]
Subject: English; Anthropological Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Typology: Programmer, Max Planck Institute, Jena, Germany

University or Organization: Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History
Department: Department for Linguistic and Cultural Evolution
Job Location: Jena, Germany
Web Address: https://shh.mpg.de
Job Title: Scientific programmer with an interest in historical linguistics
Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Anthropological Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Language Documentation; Typology

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Department of Linguistic and Cultural Evolution (DLCE) of the  Max Planck
Institute for the Science of Human History is seeking a Scientific Programmer
with an interest in Linguistics to begin on August 2017 or earlier. The DLCE
currently maintains and develops various data- and codebases for linguistics,
cultural, and genetic research, based on an Open Source stack, in particular
the python programming language (for exemplary projects, see http://clld.org
and http://www.shh.mpg.de/DLCE).

Your tasks:

As a programmer in our department, you will contribute to a wide variety of
software projects, ranging from algorithmically complex analysis software to
full-stack web application development.

We adhere to best practices of software development throughout our work, so
testing and documenting your code is highly valued.  Your work will involve
implementing much-needed new standards for databases in linguistics,
particularly the CLDF (Cross-linguistic Linked Data Formats) specification
(see http://cldf.clld.org), and maximizing synergies and shared components
across our projects and the Max Planck Society’s initiative for the Digital
Humanities.

Your qualifications:

- Good command of spoken and written English.
- Sound knowledge of Python under Unix/Linux.
- Communicative personality (you will work in an interdisciplinary and
international team where communication and team work among the members  is
crucial).
- Curiosity regarding language and cultural evolution is expected and a
background in comparative linguistics, language typology, genetics, or
anthropology is a plus.
- Experience with any of the following would be beneficial: git, PostgreSQL,
SQLAlchemy, pyramid, Django.

Our offer:

We offer an interesting and responsible job in a competitive, dynamic and
stimulating international research environment.

As a member of the DLCE, you will be able to learn new skills and enhance
existing ones. Since all our software is Open Source, you will also be able to
build up your programming portfolio.

Remuneration will follow the public service pay scale (TVöD 13, 100%),
according to qualification and experience. In addition, social benefits are
paid according to the regulations of the Civil Service. The fulltime-position
is for 3 years with the possibility of extension depending on the availability
of funding.

The Max Planck Society is committed to fostering diversity in its workforce
and encourages all individuals to apply regardless of gender, race or creed.

Your application:

Please submit your application no later than July 3 (Monday), to Kerstin
Schück-Tittmann at the application email below, and make sure to write
“[DLCE-PROGRAMMER]” in the header of your email. Please attach a short
statement of motivation (maximally one page), your current CV, and a list of
any relevant publications or software projects in a single PDF file. If you
mention forthcoming publications, please attach the drafts as well to the same
PDF. If you have questions regarding the concrete projects and the colleagues
with whom you will be working most closely, please write an email to the
contact information below with “[DLCE-PROGRAMMER-INFORMATION]” in the header,
and we will gladly answer your questions or provide more information regarding
the project and the requirements for this position.

Information regarding the Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human
History can be found at http://shh.mpg.de.

Application Deadline: 03-Jul-2017

Email Address for Applications: schueck at shh.mpg.de
Contact Information: