28.2305, Calls: Anth Ling, Cog Sci, Discourse Analysis, Psycholing, Socioling/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed May 24 14:25:16 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2305. Wed May 24 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2305, Calls: Anth Ling, Cog Sci, Discourse Analysis, Psycholing, Socioling/Netherlands

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 24 May 2017 10:25:09
From: Hannah Little [hannah.little at mpi.nl]
Subject: Minds, Mechanisms and Interaction in the Evolution of Language

Full Title: Minds, Mechanisms and Interaction in the Evolution of Language
Short Title: MMIEL

Date: 21-Sep-2017 - 22-Sep-2017
Location: Nijmegen, Netherlands
Contact Person: Hannah Little
Meeting Email: hannah.little at mpi.nl

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Cognitive Science; Discourse Analysis; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 09-Jul-2017

Meeting Description:

The workshop will include work on topics related to the emergence and
evolution of language, specifically in relation to interaction. We are looking
for work in the following areas: biases and pre-adaptations for language and
interaction,  cognitive and cultural mechanisms for linguistic emergence and
interaction as a driver for language evolution.

Plenary speakers:
David Leavens, University of Sussex
Jennie Pyers, Wellesley College
Monica Tamariz, Heriot Watt University

The workshop also includes presentations from the Levinson group (Language
Evolution and Interaction Scholars of Nijmegen)  and an introduction by
Stephen Levinson himself!

Call for Papers:

The workshop will include a poster session on topics related to the themes of
the meeting. We are interested in contributions investigating the emergence
and evolution of language, specifically in relation to interaction.

We are looking for work in the following areas:

biases and pre-adaptations for language and interaction
cognitive and cultural mechanisms for linguistic emergence
interaction as a driver for language evolution

We invite submissions of abstracts for posters, particularly from PhD students
and junior researchers.

Please submit an abstract of no more than 300 words (word count not including
references) by email to hannah.little at mpi.nl.  Please include a title,
authors, affiliations and contact email addresses.

Deadline: July 9th 2017

Outcome of decision process by: 24th July

Abstracts will be reviewed by the workshop committee.

The poster session will take place on the evening of Thursday September 21st
2017.

Registration is free (details to follow).