28.2330, FYI: Workshop: Grammar across the Curriculum, July 26

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu May 25 17:47:19 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-2330. Thu May 25 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.2330, FYI: Workshop: Grammar across the Curriculum, July 26

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Yue Chen <yue at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 25 May 2017 13:47:13
From: Lauren Squires [squires.41 at osu.edu]

July 26, 2017: Join us for a one-day workshop to be held in conjunction with
the 2017 Linguistic Institute at the University of Kentucky, organized by
Lauren Squires and Scott Schwenter of The Ohio State University. Please share
this announcement!

Further information and registration is available at
https://u.osu.edu/lsa2017grammarworkshop/. Thanks to the support of the
National Science Foundation, registration is free.

Speakers include Michelle Devereaux, Kirk Hazen, Pat Lunn, Glenn Martínez, and
Elly van Gelderen. The workshop will address challenges, opportunities, and
strategies for grammar instruction. The workshop is organized around five
themes:

- Attitudes:
What language attitudes/ideologies are found among students in our classrooms?
How can we appropriately combat attitudes that may hinder scientific
engagement with language, while harnessing the power of positive attitudes to
bolster engagement?

- Goals:
In a course specifically designed to introduce the grammar of a language, what
are our student learning outcome goals? How can we define our goals so that
they are realistic in terms of what a course can accomplish; seen as useful
from the perspective of students; and intellectually satisfying from our
perspective as linguists?

- Frameworks:
Linguistics is highly theoretical, but many students in “grammar” courses have
little or no linguistics background, and our experience suggests that much
current theorizing in the field is not directly applicable. What are (or
should be) the theoretical underpinnings of teaching grammar? How can we
create an approach to teaching grammar that isn’t mired in the theoretical
mud, but still accomplishes our goals of accurately representing the
complexity of natural language?

- First- Versus Second-Language Study:
How do the issues, challenges, and approaches of grammar instruction vary
across contexts where students are native, nonnative, or heritage speakers of
the language being taught?

- Methods:
What are successful and unsuccessful strategies for grammar instruction? For
instance, what kinds of sentence diagramming options exist, and what are their
benefits and limits? What kinds of texts and assignments have instructors
found especially productive?

                     Ling & Literature
                     Morphology
                     Sociolinguistics