28.4601, Calls: Applied Linguistics, General Linguistics/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 2 22:15:40 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4601. Thu Nov 02 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4601, Calls: Applied Linguistics, General Linguistics/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 18:15:16
From: Alex Ho-Cheong Leung [alex.ho-cheong.leung at northumbria.ac.uk]
Subject: 51st Annual Meeting of the British Association for Applied Linguistics

Full Title: 51st Annual Meeting of the British Association for Applied Linguistics
Short Title: BAAL 2018

Date: 06-Sep-2018 - 08-Sep-2018
Location: York, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Helen Sauntson
Meeting Email: events at baal2018.org.uk
Web Site: http://www.baal2018.org.uk

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2018

Meeting Description:

51st Annual Meeting of the British Association for Applied Linguistics

Theme: ''Taking Risks in Applied Linguistics''
6 - 8 September 2018
York St John University, England, UK

BAAL 2018 will be held at York St John University in York, UK. After
celebrating half a century of BAAL in 2017, our theme—Taking Risks in Applied
Linguistics—will make the 2018 meeting a testing ground for new ways of
pursuing our research and improving our practice. Our global community is
facing unsettling times, and language use is at the heart of many of the
challenges we face. Such challenges include: new and renewed areas of social
inequality; political, social and economic instabilities; language learning
and teaching-related concerns; and legislative changes which affect the rights
of certain groups. The 2018 meeting will be a forum for bold thinking to
address these challenges. We hope the conference theme will encourage
innovative proposals for papers, posters, and colloquia. We will provide some
alternative session types too, so that delegates can present and get feedback
on unfinished but original lines of thought and untested but promising new
approaches to research and practice. New work on old ideas is also very
welcome, to ensure that our collective disciplinary wisdom isn’t lost.
Equally, we want to hear about work from outside our disciplinary borders, and
indeed, outside of academia altogether.

The BAAL 2018 conference is hosted by LIdIA (Language and Identities in
InterAction), an interdisciplinary research unit based in the School of
Languages and Linguistics. York St John University is located in the centre of
York. Rich in ancient history and famous for its wealth of visitor
attractions, York is a flourishing city, just two hours by train from London
and Edinburgh. The campus is easily accessible by car and rail. The University
is a 16-minute walk or a short taxi ride from the train station. The nearest
major airports are Leeds Bradford Airport (30 miles) or Manchester Airport (85
miles). Getting from Leeds Bradford Airport to York is easiest by taxi. There
is a direct train from Manchester Airport.

Plenary Speakers:

Annelies Kusters – Heriot-Watt University
Erez Levon – Queen Mary University of London
Anne Pauwels – SOAS University of London
Bill VanPatten – Michigan State University (Pit Corder lecture)

Conference Organisers:

Professor Chris Hall and Dr Rachel Wicaksono, School of Languages and
Linguistics, York St John University

Conference Support: contact events at baal2018.org.uk
Conference webpage: www.baal2018.org.uk

Call for Papers:

Abstracts are welcome in any area of Applied Linguistics, should be
interesting and innovative in some way, and should be of scholarly and
academically good quality and indicate clearly objectives, method(s), and
results where appropriate. Abstracts which address the conference theme will
be particularly welcome.

Deadline for Receipt of Abstracts: 31 March 2018
Maximum abstract length: 300 words

To submit your abstract please use Oxford Abstracts
(https://app.oxfordabstracts.com/stages/281/submission)

Abstract Type:

Indicate the type of abstract that you are submitting during the submission
process: individual presentation for parallel sessions or a SIG track, poster,
or colloquium.

All presenters have to be BAAL members by the time they register for the
conference.

For full details of this call for papers and information about scholarships
available, please visit the conference webpage at: www.baal2018.org.uk

We look forward to seeing you at BAAL 2018!

          http://multitree.org/