28.4603, Calls: English, Historical Linguistics, Phonology/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 2 22:17:40 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4603. Thu Nov 02 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4603, Calls: English, Historical Linguistics, Phonology/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2017 18:17:29
From: Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero [r.bermudez-otero at manchester.ac.uk]
Subject: The Foot in the Phonological History of English

Full Title: The Foot in the Phonological History of English

Date: 27-Aug-2018 - 30-Aug-2018
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero
Meeting Email: r.bermudez-otero at manchester.ac.uk
Web Site: http://www.conferences.cahss.ed.ac.uk/icehl20/foot-phonological-history-english/

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Phonology

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2017

Meeting Description:

One of the central questions in the phonology of any language is: what type of
phonological foot does it have? If we ask this question of English, with its
long-recorded history, we can further ask: has the type of foot that the
language uses changed over time? A crucial follow-on question, which needs to
be answered at both historical and contemporary levels is: what kinds of
evidence can we use to determine the foot structure of a language? And when we
consider the evidence that can be used to investigate the history of English a
further question arises: what relationship is there between the feet used in a
language’s phonology and in the metre of a language’s poetry?

The answers that we give to these questions naturally depend in part on the
types of foot that are assumed to be allowed in phonology. Some, such as
Abercrombie, have simply assumed that – in a language like English – all the
material between stresses is gathered up exhaustively into feet. Hayes has
famously proposed a universal inventory of feet: the syllabic trochee, the
moraic trochee and iamb. Dresher & Lahiri have argued that, in addition to
this, we need the Germanic foot to cope with data from Germanic languages such
as English. Several types of data have been proposed to be relevant in
considering the fundamental questions that this workshop addresses, including
patterns in stress assignment, syncope (as in Old English High Vowel
Deletion), prosodic morphology, metre, and consonantal distribution.

This workshop aims to provide a forum in which we can discuss these issues as
they relate to the phonological history of English. Any type of evidence is
welcome, as is any theoretical position.

The following speakers have already confirmed their participation:

- Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero: ‘Diagnostics of the moraic trochee from
Proto-Germanic to the present: (LL)~(H) equivalence, (LH) and (HL) avoidance’
- Elan Dresher & Aditi Lahiri: ‘The foot in English’
- Patrick Honeybone: ‘Evidence for English foot structure from consonantal
processes: moras count’
- Donka Minkova: ‘Binary and ternary feet in early English phonology and
metrics’

Call for Papers:

Plase submit your abstracts through the EasyAbs abstract submission system,
selecting the option 'Workshop 9' under 'Abstract classification':

http://linguistlist.org/easyabs/icehl2018

Abstracts should not exceed 400 words and should list three to five keywords.

          http://multitree.org/