28.4671, Calls: Historical Ling, Pragmatics/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 7 19:20:51 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4671. Tue Nov 07 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4671, Calls: Historical Ling, Pragmatics/Poland

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2017 14:20:42
From: Hannah Little [hanachronism at gmail.com]
Subject: Modality Matters

Full Title: Modality Matters

Date: 16-Apr-2018 - 16-Apr-2018
Location: Torun, Poland
Contact Person: Hannah Little
Meeting Email: modalitymatters at gmail.com
Web Site: http://hlittle.com/ModalityMatters_cfp.pdf

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Pragmatics

Call Deadline: 22-Dec-2017

Meeting Description:

Modality (the mode in which language is expressed) is a fundamental topic
within language evolution. Most notably, modality is at the centre of the
debate of whether language emerged originally as gesture-first, speech-first,
or multimodal from the start. Further, the affordances provided to users of
existing communication systems are modality-dependent. Modality can affect how
language is grounded, transmitted and used in interaction and, as a result,
feeds into the language evolution debate at every level. Despite this, much
work in evolutionary linguistics, especially in the domain of models and
artificial language experiments, tends to extrapolate results from only one
modality to language generally. In this workshop, we stress that in order to
justify doing this extrapolation, we need to first fully understand the role
of modality in linguistic emergence.

This workshop is part of EvoLang12 on the morning of the 16 April.

Info here: http://hlittle.com/ModalityMatters_cfp.pdf

Call for Papers:

We invite abstracts that address:
- how modality affects the emergence of structure and/or iconicity in language
- how modality affects the emergence of mechanisms in interaction (e.g.
repair, feedback, turn-timing, etc.) and linguistic emergence as a result of
these mechanisms.

Abstracts might address questions such as:
- What can we infer from results in different modalities?
- What does this mean for generalisability?
- What might cross-modal comparisons tell us about universals in communication
systems (pragmatic, structural, etc.)?

We encourage contributions that discuss evolutionary pressures and mechanisms
that are modality specific, as well as work that directly compares data
garnered from two or more modalities collected using models, experiments
and/or from real word languages. We also welcome theoretical and empirical
contributions considering the role of modality in the origins of language.

          http://multitree.org/