28.4812, Support: General Linguistics: PhD, The Ohio State University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 14 20:06:01 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4812. Tue Nov 14 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4812, Support: General Linguistics: PhD, The Ohio State University

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2017 15:05:58
From: Judith Tonhauser [tonhauser.1 at osu.edu]
Subject: General Linguistics: PhD, The Ohio State University, USA

 Institution/Organization: The Ohio State University
Department: Department of Linguistics
Web Address: https://linguistics.osu.edu/

Level: PhD

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics at The Ohio State University, one of the premier
linguistics departments in the U.S., invites applications for admission to our
Ph.D. program for Fall 2018.

We welcome applications from students with a B.A. or M.A. in linguistics as
well as from students with a strong, documented interest in linguistics and a
degree in a language or a relevant discipline, such as computer science,
anthropology, or psychology. We offer 5-year competitive funding packages for
Ph.D. students. The Ohio State University is located in Columbus, Ohio, an
affordable and hip city (see, e.g., https://goo.gl/oL25Xq).
Our graduate program gives students considerable flexibility in developing
their own research agenda from the very first year
(http://www.ling.ohio-state.edu/handbook/ProgramHandbook.html), while offering
rigorous training at the leading edge of the field of linguistics. Ph.D.
students complete two Qualifying Paper projects before embarking on their
dissertation research. In addition to the 5-year funding package, we are able
to offer generous funding for research-related activities, including travel to
conferences and fieldwork sites, and payment to participants in experiments.

Our department has 16 core faculty. We offer training for Ph.D. students in a
wide range of research areas, including core linguistic subdisciplines
(phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics) and their
interfaces, as well as in computational linguistics, historical linguistics,
psycholinguistics, contact linguistics and sociolinguistics. For more
information on our research areas, please visit
https://linguistics.osu.edu/research .

Our department is affiliated with the Buckeye Language Network, an
interdisciplinary group composed of faculty, scholars and students from across
the university interested in the study of language (http://u.osu.edu/thebln/).
And in addition to our core faculty, more than 15 faculty from other
departments are affiliated with Linguistics as courtesy faculty, including
from the Departments of Psychology, Computer Science and Engineering, Speech
and Hearing, as well as in the language departments. Graduate students are
encouraged to pursue interdisciplinary training through coursework and
collaboration with faculty in these departments. Our graduates routinely go on
to tenure-track faculty positions, postdoctoral fellowships, and research in
industry (http://starveling.ling.ohio-state.edu/alumni/).

All graduate students have shared office space in the newly renovated Oxley
Hall, which also houses faculty offices, meeting rooms and our excellent
research facilities, which include phonetics and phonology labs, a
psycholinguistics lab with eye trackers, computational linguistics labs, and a
sound proof living room, in addition to regular sound booths. We cooperate
with COSI, a science museum in downtown Columbus, on a language research lab
in which research in all areas of linguistics can be conducted with a diverse
demographic of science museum visitors
(https://linguistics.osu.edu/research/labs/cosi).

For more information on our graduate program, please visit:
https://linguistics.osu.edu/graduates .

Application Deadline: 01-Dec-2017

Web Address for Applications: http://gpadmissions.osu.edu/index.html

Contact Information: