28.4907, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Lang Doc, Socioling, Translation/UK

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Nov 21 21:35:18 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4907. Tue Nov 21 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4907, Calls: Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Lang Doc, Socioling, Translation/UK

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2017 16:35:04
From: Dave Sayers [dave.sayers at cantab.net]
Subject: Language Policy Forum

Full Title: Language Policy Forum
Short Title: LPF

Date: 31-May-2018 - 01-Jun-2018
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Language Policy special interest group
Meeting Email: langpolicy at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.langpol.ac.uk/view/langpol/events/2018-lpforum

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Language Documentation; Sociolinguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2017

Meeting Description:

Language Policy Forum 2018: 'Language policy in the age of diversity -
dilemmas and hopes'

Plenary speakers: Prof. Marilyn Martin-Jones (University of Birmingham), Prof.
Tony Liddicoat (University of Warwick)

Call for Papers:

Theme: Language policy in the age of diversity - dilemmas and hopes
Sheffield Hallam University, UK

Editors' Panel (for advice on publishing):

- Helen Kelly Holmes (Language Policy)
- Tony Liddicoat (Current Issues in Language Planning)
- John Edwards (Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development)
- Marilyn Martin-Jones (Routledge book series Critical Studies in
Multilingualism)

This event is kindly supported by Springer, Bloomsbury, Routledge, and
Sheffield Hallam University.

The Language Policy Forum 2018 invites scholars, practitioners and other
stakeholders to take stock of what language policy means in times of growing
diversity. We are especially interested in presentations that discuss dilemmas
(language-related problems in the world) and hopes (possible solutions,
perhaps as a result of applying research findings).

Language policy permeates all domains of life, from the workplace, to the home
and family, to schools, government, and other institutional settings. It
enables some people to participate in these domains of life, and constrains
others. The Language Policy special interest group (www.langpol.ac.uk) exists
to enable dialogue on all areas of language policy research. We therefore
encourage contributions from fields such as (but by no means limited to):
sociolinguistics, applied linguistics, linguistic ethnography, political
philosophy, economics, education studies, globalisation and migration studies.

As well presentations of empirical findings, we encourage meta-discussions of
our own diversity of research practices: topics and data types, methodologies,
and practical applications. We also encourage pedagogical submissions,
exploring innovative approaches to the teaching of language policy in higher
education.

Within this broad scope, we have no preferred themes or sub-disciplinary
areas. This is the Language Policy Forum, a forum for all research about
language policy.

Oral presentations will be 20 minutes in length, followed by 10 minutes for
discussion and handover.

Abstracts (up to 300 words, including references, in word format) should be
submitted by 15 December 2017 to
http://www.langpol.ac.uk/view/langpol/events/2018-lpforum .

Updates and preliminary discussions will take place on the mailing list of the
Language Policy special interest group. The group is open to all, and free to
join: http://www.langpol.ac.uk/view/langpol/join . Finally, there will be book
raffles at the end of the Forum, so please don't miss the fun!

Conference fees:

We are aiming for maximum inclusivity in this conference, at all career
stages, and taking into account variations in job security throughout
academia. For this reason we are keeping overheads low, which includes not
providing lunch or a wine reception. (There is an excellent canteen on campus
for delegates to buy lunch, or local shops for cheaper alternatives.) And with
inclusivity in mind, the conference dinner will be cheaper than is
conventional; it has not been booked yet but is likely to be around £15 per
person.

Employed full-time, BAAL non-member: £65 (to join BAAL, visit
https://baal.org.uk/join/)
Employed full-time, BAAL member: £60
Student with conference funding: £20
BAAL student member: £0
Fractional, retired, hourly-paid, adjunct, student without conference funding:
£0

You are welcome to attend without giving a presentation, under the same fees.
There is a separate registration form for this on the same website.

Please pass this on widely in your own networks and to anyone you think may be
interested!

          http://multitree.org/