28.4081, Qs: Listserv & Resources for Child Language Research

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 4 19:47:46 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4081. Wed Oct 04 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4081, Qs: Listserv & Resources for Child Language Research

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 04 Oct 2017 15:47:34
From: Haley De Korne [h.d.korne at iln.uio.no]

The Child Language Research and Revitalization Working Group is comprised of
academic, professional, and community experts from a wide variety of
disciplines and backgrounds, including linguistics, public health, education,
psychology, and indigenous studies, among others. We invite you to suggest
resources (https://goo.gl/1Szdop) to include in our bibliography, which will
be posted online, and to sign up to join our listserv (https://goo.gl/tAVahN).

We convened in 2016, with support from the National Science Foundation, to
explore the impact of language research on language revitalization and
reclamation, and to consider how these activities not only promote language
(re)learning, but also influence social, emotional and physical well-being
among young children and their families and communities.

In May 2017 we produced a white paper, Language Documentation, Revitalization,
and Reclamation: Supporting Young Learners and Their Communities
(http://www.edc.org/language-documentation-revitalization-and-reclamation),
which discusses existing research and practice and recommends next steps to
support Indigenous communities’ actions to maintain, restore, and reclaim
their languages. Through this overview of existing knowledge, we aimed to lay
a foundation for future research in order to share and enhance the outcomes
and benefits of language documentation and LR practice.

One of the barriers we identified to pursuing this work is the limited
opportunity to communicate and share research with allied researchers and
practitioners across our diverse disciplines and professions. In order to
address this challenge, we are creating a bibliography of relevant literature,
and a listserv to support ongoing collaboration and resource-sharing.

Please consider participating through suggesting resources
(https://goo.gl/1Szdop) to include in our public bibliography, and signing up
to join our listserv (https://goo.gl/tAVahN). Thank you!

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     Language Acquisition
                     Language Documentation
                     Sociolinguistics