28.4113, Internships: Linguistic Fieldwork and Language Documentation in Indonesia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 6 18:33:39 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4113. Fri Oct 06 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4113, Internships: Linguistic Fieldwork and Language Documentation in Indonesia

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2017 14:32:54
From: Peter Cole [pcole at udel.edu]

 University or Organization: University Of Delaware
Department: Linguistics and Cognitive Science
Web Address: http://www.lingcogsci.udel.edu

Type of Work: Language Documentation

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Language Documentation

Duration:Mid June 2018 to August 2018
Compensation: Paid $1600 + room/board and expenses
Internship Location: Indonesia
Minimum Education Level: BA
Special Qualifications: This program is aimed at graduate students at U.S. universities who are in the early stages of their graduate work in linguistics, and who are seriously considering writing a dissertation involving linguistic fieldwork and language documentation: In considering applications, we will take into consideration previous training and achievements in linguistic fieldwork and language documentation, and evidence of interest in the languages of Indonesia.

Are you or your graduate students looking for opportunities for hands-on
training in linguistic fieldwork and language documentation? Our experimental
program is aimed primarily at first-year Doctoral students and MA students who
hope to get a Ph.D. in linguistics with a major fieldwork component. We are
especially interested in students who would like to explore the possibility of
fieldwork in Indonesia.

Our program is intended to test whether an effective way to increase the pace
of language documentation and description in Indonesia is to form teams of
several Indonesian students with an interest in documenting their native
language and an American Doctoral student with an interest in fieldwork and
language documentation. Students will arrive in Indonesia in mid-June. After
about two weeks of orientation and training, the teams will spend
approximately a month in East Indonesia working on the documentation an
endangered East Indonesian language (with assistance and supervision from
project staff). At the end of the summer, the results of their work will be
archived at Paradisec, a DELAMAN-member archive located in Australia, that
specializes in languages of the Pacific.

Funding: Travel expenses, food and lodging, and a stipend of $1600

Capstone Workshop: Additionally, American students are asked to make a
commitment to write a paper based on their field experiences for presentation
at a workshop to be held during the Fall Semester of 2019. Participation in
the Capstone Workshop will be funded by the project.

Qualifications: Graduate students at U.S. universities who are in the early
stages of their graduate work in linguistics, and who are seriously
considering writing a dissertation involving linguistic fieldwork and language
documentation: In considering applications, we will take into consideration
previous training and achievements in linguistic fieldwork and language
documentation, and evidence of interest in the languages of Indonesia. This is
an opportunity for students to gain experience in field linguistics and
qualifications that would facilitate applying for dissertation funding by the
NSF Documenting Endangered Languages - Doctoral Dissertation Research
Improvement Grants.

What to submit and how to submit it: 1) a statement of no more than two pages
explaining why applicants are interested in this project (how it fits in to
their long term educational and career goals), a CV, and a copy of their
academic transcript (may be unofficial). Students who have completed relevant
research papers may send one such paper as well. All application materials
should be submitted by email to pcole at udel.edu. Additionally, applicants
should request two letters of recommendation from faculty members who are
appropriate to discuss their applications for this program. Letters of
recommendations should be sent to pcole at udel.edu by the faculty members
directly. To facilitate our processing of the applications, the subject field
for letters of recommendations should be: Indonesian summer research:
student’s name.

This is a unique opportunity for graduate students in linguistics to gain
training in linguistic fieldwork and documentary linguistics. We value the
candid recommendations of colleagues for whom linguistic fieldwork has played
an important role in their career. We can only accommodate approximately four
students a year from U.S. universities, so we ask for your help in selecting
those who will benefit the most and contribute the most to the field.

For more information, please contact Peter Cole (pcole at udel.edu) or Gabriella
Hermon (gaby at udel.edu).

Application Deadline: 01-Dec-2017

Contact Information: