28.4146, FYI: CfP on Ditransitives in Germanic Languages

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 11 14:12:32 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4146. Wed Oct 11 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4146, FYI: CfP on Ditransitives in Germanic Languages

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:12:22
From: Melanie Röthlisberger [ditransitives2017 at gmail.com]
Subject: CfP on Ditransitives in Germanic Languages

Dear colleagues,

We would like to invite contributions on studies in ditransitives in Germanic
languages from a synchronic and/or diachronic perspective to be published in
an edited volume in the John Benjamins series Studies in Germanic Linguistics
(https://benjamins.com/#catalog/books/sigl/main).

The aim of the volume is to showcase and bring together empirical corpus-based
and/or experimental research on ditransitive constructions in Germanic
languages and their dialects past and present.

In English, ditransitives are among the most extensively researched syntactic
constructions with the 'dative alternation' having received a great deal of
attention in a wide range of theoretical frameworks (see, e.g., Green 1974;
Barss & Lasnik 1986, Pinker 1989; Goldberg 1995, 2006; Croft(2003; Levin &
Rappaport Hovav 2005; Mukherjee 2005; Wolk et al. 2013; Gerwin 2014; Perek
2015). However, even within English, studies have mainly focused on synchronic
descriptions of ditransitives, while interest in diachronic aspects of
ditransitives has only rather recently been sparked (e.g. Colleman & De Clerck
2011; De Cuypere 2015; Yáñez-Bouza & Denison 2015). The last decades have
also seen a growing interest in ditransitives in other Germanic languages
(e.g. Barðdal 2008; Colleman 2009), and in the typology of ditransitives in
general(Malchukov et al. 2010).

Despite the broad coverage in the literature, we still know little about the
cross-linguistic pervasiveness of ditransitive constructions (be they
historical or synchronic), the variability of factors that drive the choice of
dative variant, and the cognitive reality of these factors. It is the aim of
this edited volume to tackle and, if possible, bridge these gaps. Against this
backdrop, we welcome contributions that study ditransitives in any Germanic
language (preferably not (only) English) and that address parts of one or more
of the following research questions:

1) To what extent do language-external factors, such as time, register or
region, influence the choice of nominal or prepositional dative patterns? To
what extent do these factors also condition the ordering of constituents in
the ditransitive clause, i.e. the order of objects? Do we observe similar
patterns of lectal variation in different Germanic languages?

2) How do the diachronic developments of ditransitives in different Germanic
languages relate to one another: what differences or similarities can be
found, and how can we explain them? What role did language contact and broader
developments such as the loss of case marking play in these developments?
Also, can we reconstruct the range of  ditransitive patterns (and their formal
and functional features) in earlier stages of Germanic languages, going back
as far as Proto-Germanic?

3) To what extent do cognitive processes (e.g. processing) and
language-internal factors offer explanations for regional or historical
differences in ditransitives? What effect do psycho-/neurolinguistic processes
such as priming have on language acquisition and the use of ditransitives?

4) How are ditransitives (and alternation relationships) cognitively
represented, and are these cognitive representations cross-linguistically
robust?

We especially welcome studies that bring together different theoretical
frameworks, research methodologies or languages.

Abstracts of no more than 300 words (excl. references) should be sent to
ditransitives2017 at gmail.com by November 03, 2017. The first version of the
submissions would be due in late January/ early February 2018, and we would
probably expect the revised/final versions in August/September 2018. Details
on the submissions will be provided as soon as possible.

We look forward to hearing from you.

With best regards,

Melanie Röthlisberger
(also on behalf of Timothy Colleman and Eva Zehentner)

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Language Acquisition
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Syntax
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics