28.4148, Qs: Calling all Phonetics Transcribers

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 11 14:13:28 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4148. Wed Oct 11 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4148, Qs: Calling all Phonetics Transcribers

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2017 10:13:17
From: Steven Weinberger [weinberg at gmu.edu]
Subject: Calling all Phonetics Transcribers

Dear linguists,

The program in linguistics at George Mason University is asking you again, as
a student or teacher of phonetics/linguistics, to participate in a
crowdsourcing project using our revised phonetic transcription website.  You
will participate as a phonetic transcriber, and through your practice of
transcribing native and non-native speech, you will provide the speech accent
archive with data to help us develop a computational method of speech
transcription.  Essentially, a special webpage will deliver a single short
audio phrase of native or non-native English speech, 3-7 syllables in length,
to be phonetically transcribed by hundreds of phonetics students like you from
all over the world.  These transcription attempts will form a database that
will result in the best transcription for that particular audio phrase. After
each submission, you will receive the best transcription and can compare it
with your own attempt. The data we obtain will help us understand the process
of human phonetic transcription and speech perception, while serving as
training evidence for a computer algorithm.

This project has passed our university’s Institutional Review Board (IRB)
IRBnet # 968912-2 .

You are invited to visit the transcription activity.  Just click on the new
site: http://www.phonetictranscriber.org  You will need to register through
our online form.  If you have any questions about the project, please do not
hesitate to ask:  accent at gmu.edu.

Each task takes less than 5 minutes.  Please attempt multiple transcriptions.
 We need your help.

Thanks,

Steven H. Weinberger,

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics