28.4183, Calls: English, Disc Analysis, Ling & Lit, Pragmatics, Text/Corpus Ling/Czech Republic

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 12 16:44:25 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4183. Thu Oct 12 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4183, Calls: English, Disc Analysis, Ling & Lit, Pragmatics, Text/Corpus Ling/Czech Republic

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2017 12:44:16
From: Douglas Ponton [dponton at unict.it]
Subject: Environmental Issues and the Anthropocene

Full Title: Environmental Issues and the Anthropocene

Date: 29-Aug-2018 - 02-Sep-2018
Location: Brno, Czech Republic
Contact Person: Douglas Ponton
Meeting Email: dmponton at unict.it
Web Site: http://www.esse2018brno.org/programme/seminars_outlines

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; Ling & Literature; Pragmatics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 31-Dec-2017

Meeting Description:

Environmental Issues and the Anthropocene: problems and opportunities

This is a panel at the 2018 ESSE conference:

As is now generally acknowledged by both the scientific community and
mainstream literature on the subject, our world has been brought to the brink
of climatic and environmental catastrophe. Cities are beset by air pollution,
and greenhouse gases have caused global temperatures to warm, with disastrous
effects on climate and on marine ecosystems.

We find ourselves enmeshed in these processes; on a macro level via
international initiatives like the Kyoto protocol, on an everyday basis
through social practices like differentiated rubbish collection. Corporate
communication increasingly revolves around claims to 'sustainability', and
positive attitudes to issues like Energy, Waste Products and Responsible
Sourcing, but it is questionable how far promotional rhetoric and actual
social practices correspond.

In a global political context that has brought a climate change denier to the
White House, it becomes more urgent than ever for linguists to consider
narratives of climate change and other ecological topics, and to ask how we
can play a more significant role in contributing to more positive outcomes
than those currently envisaged for our planet.

Since the narratives we live by are essential in shaping public opinion and
garnering consensus, this panel aims to look at how narratives relating to
environmental issues are constructed across a range of different oral and
written discourse domains, e.g. in conversations, story-telling, advertising,
manifestoes, print and online media and social platforms, brochures, white
papers, magazines, newspapers, short stories, novels, etc.

Call for Papers:

We welcome contributions from a range of disciplines within linguistics,
including (but not limited to):

- Pragmatics
- Critical Discourse Analysis
- Ecolinguistics
- Multimodal Discourse Analysis
- Conversation Analysis
- Systemic Functional Linguistics
- Metaphor Analysis
- Genre Analysis
- Corpus Linguistics

We would also welcome contributions that address these issues from other
perspectives than those of linguistics (e.g. anthropology, ethnography,
(political) philosophy, literary criticism, stylistics, cultural studies,
sociology, etc.).

Please send an abstract (250 words max.) to the panel convenors by 31 December
2017.

Panel Convenors:

Douglas Mark Ponton
Associate Professor of English Language and Translation
Department of Political and Social Studies
University of Catania
dponton at unict.it

Dr Małgorzata Sokół
Researcher and Lecturer of English Language
Institute of English
Szczecin University
malgorzata.sokol at usz.edu.pl