28.4246, Confs: Discourse Analysis, General Linguistics, Morphology, Sociolinguistics, Syntax/Germany

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 16 18:37:04 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4246. Mon Oct 16 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4246, Confs: Discourse Analysis, General Linguistics, Morphology, Sociolinguistics, Syntax/Germany

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:36:57
From: Samuel Felder [ken at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Patterns of Repetition in Language Use

Patterns of Repetition in Language Use

Date: 15-Jan-2018 - 16-Jan-2018
Location: Leipzig, Germany
Contact: Samuel Felder
Contact Email: samuel.felder at uni-leipzig.de
Meeting URL: http://www.whatsup-switzerland.ch/index.php/en/research-en/patterns-en

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics; Morphology; Sociolinguistics; Syntax

Meeting Description:

Repetition in language is a riddle: On the one hand, it increases redundancy
and thus helps the message to come across, on the other hand, it is costly for
the speaker and contradicts the overall goal of an efficient encoding process.
>From a structuralist point of view, it is incompatible with a conception of
language as a consistent system with all (meaningful) elements standing in
functional opposition to each other. Doubling phenomena are, however frequent
in the languages of the world, at least at the level of observation (e.g.
Spanish: Le doy un libro a María, her.DAT-give1.SG. a book to Mary-DAT, ‘I
give a book to Mary’), and repetition may serve various functions in
interactionists accounts of language use. In interaction, we often refer back
to central aspects of the message of our interlocutors to confirm
understanding. Repetition is one possible way of doing so, and we may either
use our own linguistic form or take over (features of) the form used by our
interlocutor. In this second case, repetition of foreign forms is part of an
accommodation process that can change the individual's repertoire, his/her
personal language use and, when it spreads within the community, it may even
result in language change.

Keeping this in mind, the workshop intends to have a closer look at repetition
phenomena in language use, with a (however not exclusive) focus on mobile
written communication such as WhatsApp messages, in order to identify various
functions of patterns of repetition.

Invited Speakers:

Martin Salzmann (Leipzig)
Jannis Androutsopoulos (Hamburg)
Jan Blommaert (Tilburg)
Isabelle Buchstaller (Leipzig)

Guiding questions of the discussion are:

What is doubled or repeated (features, forms, chunks, sentences)?
How can linguistic theory account for repetition, and what does it tell us
about language structure?
Which aspects of repetition are central in interaction?
Are there triggers for a repetition of foreign forms?
How does repetition influence changes to an individual’s language use?

Program:

https://www.whatsup-switzerland.ch/index.php/en/research-en/patterns-en

          http://multitree.org/