28.4289, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Linguistics & Literature/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 18 18:44:51 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4289. Wed Oct 18 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4289, Calls: Applied Linguistics, Linguistics & Literature/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2017 14:43:54
From: Estefania Valenzuela Mochon [estefaniavalenzuela at utexas.edu]
Subject: Jil Jadid Conference '18

Full Title: Jil Jadid Conference '18

Date: 16-Feb-2018 - 17-Feb-2018
Location: Austin Texas, USA
Contact Person: Jil Jadid
Meeting Email: jiljadidconf at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.jil-jadid.org/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Ling & Literature

Call Deadline: 01-Dec-2017

Meeting Description:

The Department of Middle Eastern Languages and Cultures and the Center for
Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Texas at Austin are happy to
announce the 8th Annual Jil Jadid Conference in Middle Eastern Literature and
Linguistics, a graduate student conference to be held at the University of
Texas at Austin, February 16-17, 2018.

Jil Jadid is a graduate student conference that aims to provide a forum for
young scholars spread across a variety of disciplines to come together, share
ideas and research, and discuss the future of their respective fields as they
move forward in their careers and come to represent the eponymous new
generation of scholars engaging with the Middle Eastern languages and its
cultures. For the past seven Februaries, graduate students from a wide range
of universities, both domestic and international, have assembled in Austin to
set the tone for Middle Eastern studies in the twenty-first century. The
ongoing positive feedback we have received from these past conferences prompts
us to once again assemble with the same goal, uniting students from area
studies, linguistics, comparative literature and other departments in order to
facilitate a productive and interdisciplinary exchange of new ideas.

Call for Papers:

All papers treating topics in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, Turkish and any other
Middle Eastern literatures and linguistics, including all its subfields such
as applied linguistics, and from any time period, will gladly be considered.
In addition to original research, we also welcome  state-of-the-field papers
that provide a focused overview of specific subfields and propose new avenues
of research in the chosen area. This year, we also strongly encourage students
from Ancient Near Eastern Studies and Islamic studies to submit their
abstracts to Jil Jadid as there will be panels specifically for these fields.

Papers to be presented at other conferences are more than welcome, as we wish
to provide a forum for students to further develop and refine their research.

Unfortunately, this year we will not be able to accommodate virtual
presentations via video-chat. We will instead be providing a live online
stream of the conference proceedings that will allow those who are not
physically able to attend the conference to follow along and contribute by
leaving comments and feedback.

Abstracts:

Applicants may submit abstracts of no more than a single-spaced page with
12-pt font and 1-inch margins in Times New Roman (not including references).
Abstracts longer that one page will not be considered. Please visit
http://www.jil-jadid.org/submit-an-abstract/ to submit your abstract.

The deadline for abstracts is December 1, 2017. Abstracts should not include
identifying information; you must, however, indicate the highest degree you
have obtained and your current position (e.g. ''M.A., Graduate Student,''
''Ph.D., Assistant Professor,'' etc.). Only submissions from current or recent
graduate students will be considered.

Conference Fees & Funding:

Jil Jadid requires no fees for presenters and/or attendees.

Graduate students whose abstracts are accepted will be eligible to apply for a
limited number of partial travel grants to defray the costs of attending the
Jil Jadid conference. Lodging with local graduate students will be made
available when possible.