28.4325, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Socioling/Switzerland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 20 15:02:04 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4325. Fri Oct 20 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4325, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Disc Analysis, Socioling/Switzerland

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 10:54:07
From: Nina Richard [nina.richard at ens.unibe.ch]
Subject: X-scapes - 10th Linguistic Landscape Workshop

Full Title: X-scapes - 10th Linguistic Landscape Workshop
Short Title: X-scapes

Date: 02-May-2018 - 04-May-2018
Location: Bern, Switzerland
Contact Person: Crispin Thurlow
Meeting Email: xscapes2018 at gmail.com
Web Site: https://xscapes2018.ch/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Dec-2017

Meeting Description:

The Linguistic Landscape Workshop is well established as the world’s premier
gathering of scholars investigating the intersection of language,
communication and space/place. (This scientific field is also sometimes known
by the labels “semiotic landscapes” and/or “geosemiotics”.) Researchers come
from a wide range of language-related disciplines; most notably, applied
linguistics, multilingualism studies, sociolinguistics, discourse studies, and
linguistic anthropology. In all this work, scholars recognize how linguistic
and communicative practice can only be properly understood in the context of
its emplacement. By the same token, we recognize how the physical location and
public visibility of different ways of speaking/communicating have deep
social, political implications. The nine previous gatherings of the Linguistic
Landscape Workshop were in Tel Aviv, Siena, Strasbourg, Addis Ababa, Namur
(Belgium), Cape Town, Berkeley, Liverpool and Luxembourg.

Call for Papers:

In marking the 10th anniversary gathering, the 2018 Linguistic Landscapes
Workshop is being organized under the theme of X-SCAPES as a deliberately and
pointedly non-thematic theme. We thereby invite participants (old and new) to
reconsider and re-imagine the field’s methodologies and intellectual
priorities for the next ten years.

X = the number ten
X = numeric and alphabetic
X = semiotic and embodied
X = ancient and futuristic
X = unknowable and mysterious
“X marks the spot”

With this in mind, we invite you to submit your abstract (with keywords) no
later than Friday 1 December 2017. Please be assured that this is an absolute
deadline and there will be no last-minute extensions.

Your abstract should be no more than 350 words, including references but not
including the title. We recommend that you follow these general principles:

- Your theoretical framework or core literature is made explicit
- You give at least two or three citations with full references
- Your data/evidence and analytical/interpretive process is clearly stated
- You offer five or six keywords

Your abstracts will be reviewed by our scientific committee (see Organizers)
and we expect to confirm acceptance no later than mid-January.

Visit https://www.conftool.com/xscapes2018/ to submit your abstract via
conftool.