28.4359, Calls: Anthro Ling, Philosophy of Lang, Pragmatics/Italy

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Oct 23 14:21:33 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4359. Mon Oct 23 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4359, Calls: Anthro Ling, Philosophy of Lang, Pragmatics/Italy

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2017 10:21:21
From: Stefano Montes [montes.stefano at tiscalinet.it]
Subject: Human Existence as Fieldwork

Full Title: Human Existence as Fieldwork

Date: 06-Dec-2017 - 07-Dec-2017
Location: Palermo, Italy
Contact Person: Stefano Montes
Meeting Email: montes.stefano at tiscalinet.it
Web Site: http://www.unipa.it/dipartimenti/cultureesocieta/Call-for-papers-Human-existence-as-fieldwork/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics

Call Deadline: 10-Nov-2017

Meeting Description:

Can we consider human existence as an object of study in its own right? What
do we mean when we speak of human existence? Which instruments and methods
should be utilized and which disciplines should we resort to in order to
better seize human existence? The existence we intend to study is the one
belonging to individuals. The question is, then, how to observe them? In
addition, concerning human existence, is it pertinent to speak of fieldwork in
linguistic and semiotic terms? And, as a consequence, how can existence be
best linguistically rendered and analyzed? And, finally, as linguistic
anthropologists, can we focus on ‘existence as a whole’ both in exotic and
non-exotic places? In this conference, we intend to focus on human existence
and on its possible components in order to answer these questions and many
more. Human existence – as a notion and as a practice – is fleeting and not
easy to seize within a unique form of knowledge or theory. Human existence
seems almost evident in itself: we mostly live through routine, through
automatisms usually left uninvestigated. Thinking about human existence,
instead, means to reveal, among other things, the automatisms which
characterize it and to give it an anthropological definition. Moreover, it is
important to specify that human existence tends to flow implicitly and to come
to awareness, above all, when something happens that disrupts routine, breaks
into the ordinary and transforms its regularity. We reflect – we are compelled
to reflect – on the meaning of existence when we are confronted with what
endangers it: violence, death, diseases or accidents. It is not surprising,
then, that the meaning attributed to existence is closely associated with the
rituals implemented by cultures to domesticate the danger represented by
sufferings and vulnerabilities. Probably, an anthropological reflection on
existence will lead to a new definition of exoticism and ethnography: as a
matter of fact, existence as an object of study cannot be considered as an
‘exotic elsewhere’. In addition, a larger focus on existence might also lead
to a new conceptualization of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis
(language/thought/reality vs language/thought/existence). Considering what we
have said above, in this conference we will question ordinary and/or
extraordinary aspects of existence inside a culture (or by comparing cultures)
and we will focus on theoretical and methodological problems, more
particularly on the role of the participant-observer as an individual who sees
the world from a specific and situated viewpoint. Given the issues at stake,
ultimately, this conference is meant to represent a first meeting towards
future events to be held on an annual (or two year) and itinerant basis, in
Europe or elsewhere. As an indication, for this conference we provide an open
list of possible topics:

Existence and the Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis
Existence and deictics/indexicalization
Existence and agency
Existence and interaction
Temporal and spatial dimensions of existence
Existence, fieldwork and methods
Existence and theories
Existence, routine and daily life
Existence, writing, image
Exotic and endotic
Existence, culture, rites
Subjectivity and writing
Individual and culture
Action and emotion
Body and identity
Existence, vulnerability and death
Existence and Existentialisms

Call for Papers:

Human existence as fieldwork

For information and to submit proposals:

Stefano Montes (montes.stefano at tiscalinet.it) and Albert Piette
(piettealbert at hotmail.com)

Practical information:

Deadline for submitting proposals: November 10, 2017
Proposal summary and title: 250-300 words
Duration of presentations: 30 minutes
Expected submission of texts or longer abstracts (for a better discussion
during the conference): before November 25, 2017
Conference languages: Italian, French and English
Conference participation is free of charge
Travel costs, accommodation expenses and meals are covered by participants or
their own institutions