28.4409, FYI: Online: Sentence Structure Complexity and NLP

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Oct 24 20:55:36 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4409. Tue Oct 24 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4409, FYI: Online: Sentence Structure Complexity and NLP

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 16:55:10
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online: Sentence Structure Complexity and NLP

Thursday, October 26th, 2pm EDT
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Neural basis of sentence structure complexity during speech production:
Lessons from natural language processing and lesion mapping

Ezequiel Gleichgerrcht, MD
Department of Neurology, Medical University of South Carolina

Lesion studies have made remarkable contributions to our understanding of the
neurobiology of language by mapping communication deficits to damage in
specific brain regions. The ability to string together words into a cohesive
and structured arrangement capable of conveying thoughts and nuanced
information is key to human speech production and its assessment cannot be
reliably or entirely captured by constrained tasks, such as object naming or
sentence completion, which have limited ecological validity. In this
presentation, we will explore how novel computational methods can shed light
on the neurobiology of sentence production and structuring. We will achieve
this by combining Natural Language Processing (NLP), an automated
computational algorithm to quantify syntactic structure, with cortical
(voxel-based) and white matter (connectome-based) lesion-symptom mapping to
identify brain regions with a crucial association with sentence production and
syntactic complexity.

The lecture will be held at the Medical University of South Carolina, and
broadcast live.

Viewing event at the University of South Carolina:
Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, October 26, Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
The viewing event will be catered!

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session: http://help.citrix.com/getready

For more information, please contact:
Dirk den Ouden, Ph.D., Associate Prof.
University of South Carolina, Dept. of COMD
Tel. 803-777-9241 (office) Email: denouden at sc.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics