28.3636, Jobs: Arabic; French; German; Spanish; Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Chenope

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 5 17:12:23 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3636. Tue Sep 05 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3636, Jobs: Arabic; French; German; Spanish; Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Chenope

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2017 13:12:20
From: Katya Saint-Amand [work at chenope.com]
Subject: Arabic; French; German; Spanish; Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Chenope, Edinburgh, UK

University or Organization: Chenope
Job Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom (Telecommute)
Web Address: http://chenope.com
Job Title: Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Consultant; Rank Open; Researcher; Scientist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Required Language(s): Arabic, Algerian (arq)
                      French (fra)
                      German (deu)
                      Spanish (spa)

Chenope is an international 100% bootstrapped core technology start-up with
locations in the San Francisco Bay Area, Edinburgh (Scotland) and Singapore.
We have meaningful revenue, an issued U.S. patent, and a partnership with a
multi-billion dollar global company. Our CEO has previously been successful
bootstrapping a software startup to a sustained 8-figure annual run rate,
based on superior technology and sales execution. We do not intend to raise
venture capital, which is a gigantic advantage given the current climate. This
also means that stock option grants to employees can be vastly more generous
than could otherwise be the case. If you are looking to join an early-ish
stage startup that is both technologically innovative and "real"
business-oriented,  we may well be what you are looking for.

We are currently looking for senior computational linguists with language
competence in Spanish, Arabic, or German.  In this role, you will work on
analysing textual data as part of a multi-faceted analysis product whose goal
is to predict the behaviour of organisations of varying types. Applications
range from Human Capital Management, to Investor Intelligence and Law
Enforcement. The work is cutting-edge and highly varying in nature.

Desired Qualifications:

- University degree in Computational Linguistics or a related field.
Equivalent experience in the IC or military welcome. Additional research
and/or training in semantics, pragmatics and corpus linguistics preferred.
- Experience in ontology development, grammar engineering, and the ability to
abstract over language data.
- Proven ability to do original research in the field.
- A strong programming or math background is an advantage.  Specific
programming competence: Python, possibly R, Java, Javascript
- Familiarity with language processing tools - for English and other
languages.
- Native or near-native fluency in more than one language strongly preferred.
- Intellectual curiosity critical, especially a “nose” for investigation.
- Comfortable with performing both intellectually complex and mundane tasks as
needed to advance the goals of the business; a certain amount of professional
maturity is required in a bootstrapped startup.
- Prior start-up experience preferred.

Even if you don't have all the qualifications listed above, but you think that
you have the potential for learning and development, you should still send us
your application. We are growing, and we have long memories.

IMPORTANT NOTE: We can only accept applications from citizen of the US, UK,
EU, Canada, Mexico, or others who have the legal right to work in either the
UK or the US. Unfortunately we cannot consider applicants without one of these
statuses.

However, you needn't already be in one of our current locations to start off.
We will pay to relocate the right person within several months of successful
work at the company.

Please submit your cover letter and CV to the email address below.

Email Address for Applications: work at chenope.com
Contact Information:
	Ms. Katya Saint-Amand
	Email: work at chenope.com