28.3712, Calls: Sociolinguistics / I-LanD: Identity, Language and Diversity Journal (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 11 16:19:49 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3712. Mon Sep 11 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3712, Calls: Sociolinguistics / I-LanD: Identity, Language and Diversity Journal (Jrnl)

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 12:19:43
From: Massimiliano Demata [maxdemata at yahoo.com]

Full Title: I-LanD: Identity, Language and Diversity Journal

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 10-Oct-2017

Second Call for Papers:

Call Deadline: 10-Oct-2017
I-LanD Journal - Identity, Language and Diversity
International Peer-Reviewed Journal
Call for abstracts/papers for the special issue:
''Discursive constructions of migrants: verbal and visual images of the
''other''''

Editors: Massimiliano Demata (University of Bari), Ljiljana Saric (University
of Oslo) and Andreja Vezovnik (University of Ljubljana).
During the last few years, migration has often been at the centre of the
attention of both media and politics in Europe and the USA. Media and politics
have offered a wide range of responses to a seemingly growing number of people
coming from the Third World who have been displaced by poverty and/or wars. On
the one hand, according to a set of xeno-racist discourses, immigrants are
represented as posing challenges to the West's supposed cultural, ethnic and
religious ''purity'' and as threatening the livelihood of those living in
nations ''welcoming'' immigrants. The recent Brexit, in which the British
voted to leave the EU after a campaign largely based on an immigration scare,
is only the most evident indication of a populist surge which seems to be
enveloping most of the West: populist movements have gained consensus and
political space often on the basis of the identification of immigrants with
crime and terrorism, of their representation as a danger for the nation and
its borders, and of the supposed failure of multiculturalism and integration.
On the other hand, recent reports of the attempts by immigrants coming from
the Middle East and Africa which have ended tragically have caused certain
humanitarian concerns, particularly when the images of dead immigrants on
Italian and Greek shores, and in particular children, have been spread through
the media. Furthermore, public discussions on immigration have developed
specific features for each country. In Italy, for example, media reports on
immigration have recently focused on the role of the NGOs in rescuing
immigrants trying to cross the Mediterranean, the legal and cultural
implications of the jus soli, and the lack of political initiative from the EU
in dealing with the immigration situation.

The editors of this issue of I-LanD Journal welcome abstracts addressing the
media and political representation of migration in social, cultural and
political terms through various national perspectives. We are very interested
in offering a picture of the issues raised by contemporary discussions on
immigration taking place in the USA and in various parts of Europe. Abstracts
can address a variety of critical perspectives, including Critical Discourse
Analysis and Multimodality, but we are also particularly interested in the
visual representation of immigrants through the Western media and on how these
images have contributed to shape certain (often contrasting) representations
of migrants. In this sense, we particularly encourage contributions
concentrating on media representations of vulnerable groups (e.g. children).

The topics include but are not limited to:
-Discursive and/or multimodal representation of migrants.
-Linguistic issues related to the arrival and presence of migrants in Europe.
-Representation of migrants in media and/or politics in specific European
countries.
-Legal implications of new scenarios on citizenship.

Please send abstracts (maximum 500 words, references excluded, with no mention
of the author's name in the file) by 10th October 2017 to:
massimiliano.dematauniba.it
ljiljana.saricilos.uio.no
Andreja.Vezovnikfdv.uni-lj.si
c/c ilandjournalunior.it