28.3730, Qs: English Grammar and Usage Survey

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 11 18:47:22 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3730. Mon Sep 11 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3730, Qs: English Grammar and Usage Survey

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2017 14:47:10
From: Kota Nishiwaki [hot_corner_55 at hotmail.com]
Subject: English Grammar and Usage Survey

I am trying to write an article about the English verb ''drink.'' I am not an
English native speaker, so if it is OK, could you distribute the following
questionnaire? Thank you very much for your cooperation.

---
If you are a native speaker of English, could you help me judge the
acceptability of the following sentences? Which is the most natural for you?
If possible, could you make some comments on each sentence? Any comments are
welcome. Please send your replies directly to my email,
hot_corner_55 at hotmail.com. Your responses will assist me in my research.

[Instruction for how to make juice]
(1)Cut produce to fit your juicer’s feed tube. Juice all ingredients and stir
the juice. Pour it into a glass and drink it as soon as possible.
(2) Cut produce to fit your juicer’s feed tube. Juice all ingredients and stir
the juice. Pour into a glass and drink as soon as possible.
(3) Cut produce to fit your juicer’s feed tube. Juice all ingredients and stir
the juice. Pour it into a glass and drink as soon as possible.
(4) Cut produce to fit your juicer’s feed tube. Juice all ingredients and stir
the juice. Pour into a glass and drink it as soon as possible.

[How to use (Raw) Kelp Granules & Powder]
(5) Mix 1-2 tsp. into water, stir it well and drink it as soon as possible (it
will form a gel in less than a minute).
(6) Mix 1-2 tsp. into water, stir well and drink as soon as possible (it will
form a gel in less than a minute).
(7) Mix 1-2 tsp. into water, stir it well and drink as soon as possible (it
will form a gel in less than a minute).
(8) Mix 1-2 tsp. into water, stir well and drink it as soon as possible (it
will form a gel in less than a minute).

[Printed on the package of an antiseptic solution]
(9) DO NOT DRINK.
(10) DO NOT DRINK THIS.

[A man [A] came back from a bathroom in a bar]
A: What happened to my beer?
(11): That man drank.
(12): That man drank it.

[A man [A] came back from a bathroom in a bar]
A: What happened to my beer?
(13) That man came and found the beer, looked at it and drank without
stopping.
(14) That man came and found the beer, looked at it and drank it without
stopping.

[Pointing at the coke that a boy is drinking]
(15) Do not drink!
(16) Do not drink it!

[Pointing at a glass of coke]
(17) Drink!
(18) Drink it!

[Pointing at a glass of coke]
(19) Drink up!
(20) Drink it up!

Finally, could you give me the following information? Of course, the data
below is used only for the academic research.

Sex, Age, The place you are from, Job

Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Kota Nishiwaki
e-mail: hot_corner_55 at hotmail.com

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)