28.3822, Calls: Historical Linguistics, Sociolingusitics/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 19 14:36:06 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3822. Tue Sep 19 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3822, Calls: Historical Linguistics, Sociolingusitics/Netherlands

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 10:35:56
From: Gijsbert Rutten [g.j.rutten at hum.leidenuniv.nl]
Subject: Making Waves in Historical Sociolinguistics

Full Title: Making Waves in Historical Sociolinguistics

Date: 30-May-2018 - 01-Jun-2018
Location: Leiden University Centre for Linguistics, Netherlands
Contact Person: Gijsbert Rutten
Meeting Email: hison2018 at hum.leidenuniv.nl
Web Site: https://www.universiteitleiden.nl/en/events/2018/05/call-for-papers-hison

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 05-Jan-2018

Meeting Description:

Making Waves in Historical Sociolinguistics

Organized by the Historical Sociolinguistics Network – HiSoN, and the Leiden
University Centre for Linguistics – LUCL

Making Waves in Historical Sociolinguistics
Organized by the Historical Sociolinguistics Network - HiSoN, and the Leiden
University Centre for Linguistics - LUCL

What are the next steps in historical sociolinguistics? Where is the
discipline heading? Which challenges and opportunities are we facing? These
are the issues we want to address at the next HiSoN conference on historical
sociolinguistics. Over the past few decades, the field of historical
sociolinguistics has developed from a niche that brought together historical
linguists, philologists and sociolinguists to a vibrant and established
subdiscipline of its own. The results have been impressive: new data sets have
been collected, corpora have been built, theories, methods and analyses have
been presented in papers, books and journals. At the 2018 conference, at a
time when the Leiden-based Going Dutch-project is nearing its end, we want to
reflect on the state-of-the-art in our field, and identify new avenues of
historical-sociolinguistic research.

Possible issues to be addressed include the following. Are hot topics in
modern sociolinguistics, such as contact, migration and identity, sufficiently
represented in historical sociolinguistics? If not, how can we operationalize
them? What about key concepts in historical linguistics, such as
grammaticalization, constructionalization and subjectification? If we seek to
integrate internal and external factors in explaining language change, do
these concepts need to become more integrated into our analyses? Are
stylization and enregisterment useful concepts in the analysis of historical
situations? Are so-called third-wave studies of historical situations feasible
at all - in the frequent absence of detailed information about individual
writers and their identities? Which languages and language groups are still
conspicuously absent from the field? Can we extend the
historical-sociolinguistic approach to ancient languages, or to contexts with
only a recent written tradition? Which methodological innovations can further
our field and its analytical adequacy? What kinds of data from the written
record are still waiting for us to study?

Keynote Speakers:

James Clackson (University of Cambridge) - Sociolinguistics of ancient
languages, esp. Latin and Greek
Kristine Horner (University of Sheffield) - Language politics, multilingualism
and mobility
Rajend Mesthrie (University of Cape Town) - Migration, language and social
change

Call for Papers:

We are looking for historical-sociolinguistic papers that identify a promising
avenue of historical-sociolinguistic research, in terms of data, method or
theory. Papers are 20 minutes excluding Q&A. Abstracts of max. 300 words
(references included) can be sent to hison2018 at hum.leidenuniv.nl. The deadline
for abstract submission is 5 January 2018. Notification of acceptance will be
given before 1 February 2018.

Organizing Committee:

Andreas Krogull
Gijsbert Rutten