28.3830, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Senior Computational Linguist, Grammarly

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 19 15:56:15 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-3830. Tue Sep 19 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.3830, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Senior Computational Linguist, Grammarly

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2017 11:56:13
From: Liubov Tropina [liubov.tropina at grammarly.com]
Subject: English; Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: Senior Computational Linguist, Grammarly, New York, USA

University or Organization: Grammarly
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: http://grammarly.com
Job Title: Senior Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Computational Linguist

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Effective communication is hard. It requires talent, skill, and a lot of
effort. Enter Grammarly, the first widely adopted AI communication assistant
helping people with the content and meaning of their writing. Grammarly helps
millions of people make their written communication clear, mistake-free, and
effective. With a $110 million growth equity investment, Grammarly is changing
the way the world communicates—enabling people to write exactly what they
mean, every time.

To help us reach that goal, we are looking for a curious Senior Computational
Linguist with an interest in Natural Language Processing, a passion for
English, and excellent knowledge of English grammar.

At Grammarly, our impact comes from a strong culture with highly engaged,
highly motivated team members. We hire exceptional people and reward them with
trust, autonomy, mentorship, and the freedom to grow into their roles. We’re a
passionate, growing team on a mission to improve lives by improving
communication. If you’re up for the challenge, we would love to meet you!

What You Will Accomplish:

- Use rule-based and statistical methods in NLP to develop and improve
error-correction checks.
- Conduct research on a variety of tasks, work with large corpora, design
algorithms, and implement solutions for new error-correction checks.
- Research different modes, genres, and styles of writing to improve
Grammarly’s performance.
Improve current text processing tools and implement new ones.
- Coordinate development of corpora, including data extraction, annotation,
and crowdsourced experiments.
- Coordinate resource-creation projects.
- Mentor junior computational linguists and improve programming skills.
- Deepen knowledge and skills in NLP, and develop ML and DL skills, depending
on career trajectory.

Talents You Bring to the Team:

- Embody our E.A.G.E.R values (Ethical, Adaptable, Gritty, Empathetic, and
Remarkable).
- MS or PhD in Linguistics, Computational Linguistics, or another
Linguistics-related discipline.
- Fluent English, great understanding of English grammar, syntax, semantics,
and usage, especially in writing.
- At least two years of experience in Computational Linguistics/NLP.
- Substantial experience in at least one programming language as well as
working knowledge of NLP libraries and understanding of statistical methods in
NLP.
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and critical-thinking skills. Experience
teaching English as a first or a second language preferred.

What Grammarly Offers You:

- Big goals, challenging work, fast learning cycles, practical training, and
meaningful feedback.
- Project exposure and ownership that impacts our world, users, product,
colleagues, and business.
- Health care, communication coaching, and great coworkers!

Web Address for Applications: http://bit.ly/2xuJ255
Contact Information:
	Technical Recruiter Liubov Tropina
	Email: liubov.tropina at grammarly.com