28.4008, Calls: Gen Ling/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Sep 29 16:00:18 UTC 2017

LINGUIST List: Vol-28-4008. Fri Sep 29 2017. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 28.4008, Calls: Gen Ling/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2017 12:00:11
From: Stacey Jacobson [smjacobson at ua.edu]
Subject: University of Alabama Languages Conference 2018

Full Title: University of Alabama Languages Conference 2018
Short Title: UALC 2018

Date: 09-Feb-2018 - 10-Feb-2018
Location: Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
Contact Person: Hannah Mizell
Meeting Email: ualanguagesconference at gmail.com
Web Site: http://ualc.as.ua.edu

Crossroads: the intersection of language and identity

At the heart of all things linguistic is communication. Language takes myriad
forms as its speakers communicate with one another in evolving contexts. When
we navigate multiple identities in order to exchange ideas and learn from one
another, a crossroads emerges. How do we shape language to address identity?
To what extent do we alter identity to fit the language we use to communicate?
Does communicating identity extend beyond language?

Call for Papers:

We welcome abstract submissions for formal 20 minute oral presentations
spanning 400 words and abstract submissions for poster presentations spanning
300 words. Suggestions for organized panels must include individual presenter
abstracts and a brief description of the panel theme up to 300 words.

The committee extends the invitation of abstract submission to undergraduate
students, graduate students, and professional scholars who work with language
and identity.

Disciplines of interest include:

- Literature
- Linguistics