29.1438, Calls: Sociolinguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 2 22:27:32 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1438. Mon Apr 02 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1438, Calls: Sociolinguistics/USA

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2018 18:27:18
From: Daniel Duncan [dad463 at nyu.edu]
Subject: New Ways of Analyzing Variation 47

Full Title: New Ways of Analyzing Variation 47
Short Title: NWAV 47

Date: 18-Oct-2018 - 21-Oct-2018
Location: New York, New York, USA
Contact Person: Laurel MacKenzie
Meeting Email: nwav47 at nyu.edu
Web Site: http://wp.nyu.edu/nwav47/

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 01-Jun-2018

Meeting Description:

New York University is hosting the 47th annual meeting of New Ways of
Analyzing Variation (NWAV) on October 18-21, 2018.

Our plenary speakers are:

- John R. Rickford, Stanford University
- Erez Levon, Queen Mary University of London

This year’s themes are Methods and Innovation and Passing the Torch. We plan
to highlight cutting-edge tools for data analysis and envelope-pushing
research questions. At the same time, we will celebrate retirements, reflect
on the achievements of several scholars, and look toward the future.

Call for Papers:

New Ways of Analyzing Variation (NWAV) 47
New York University
October 18-21, 2018

Submission Deadline:  June 1, 2018, 11:59pm (EDT)

The organizers of NWAV 47, to be held at New York University this October of
2018, invite submissions for presentations (poster and talk) related to the
study of language variation. We especially welcome those of a strong fit with
this year’s themes: Passing the Torch and Methods & Innovation. We seek to
highlight innovative methods and tools, revisit the influential work of
retiring scholars, and recognize how they have laid the groundwork for further
innovations and advancements in our field.

All abstracts should be submitted using the online submission page
(https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=nwav47). They should be no more than
500 words, confined to 1 page of text. (Bibliography, glossed/transcribed
examples, and images are allowed to appear on a second page and do not count
toward the word limit.) They must be submitted as PDFs and must be anonymized,
both in terms of document content and metadata.

Authors may submit a maximum of two abstracts, only one of which may be
sole-authored (as opposed to joint-authored). Abstracts that are exclusively
authored by students are especially encouraged and will be considered for the
Best Student Abstract Award. A small number of student travel awards will be
available for students with accepted abstracts as in previous years; details
will be forthcoming.

All submissions will be anonymously reviewed and considered for both
presentation formats (poster and talk). There will be 4 parallel talk sessions
consisting of a 20min presentation and 5min period for questions, as well as a
2hr poster session providing for free-flow presentation and discussion.

For general questions or information, please consult the official conference
website https://wp.nyu.edu/nwav47/ . You can also follow us on Facebook,
Twitter, and Instagram @nwav47 for updates. Please direct any questions
specifically related to the abstract submission process to nwav47 at nyu.edu.

Timeline:

April 1 – June 1: Abstract submissions open
By August 1st: Decisions sent
Early August: Preliminary program available online
Early August-mid September: Earlybird online conference registration
Mid-September-October 15: Regular online conference registration
October 18: Conference start, with on-site registration