29.1496, Fun Fact: Website Edition

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Apr 5 21:45:50 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1496. Thu Apr 05 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1496, Fun Fact: Website Edition

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2018 17:45:07
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Fun Fact: Website Edition

 Hey everyone,

Ken here with another fun fact for all of you. I imagine you're acquainted
with our website (https://linguistlist.org). Our featured staff this week,
Paige Goulding has been hard at work getting our new website
(new.linguistlist.org) up and running.  A large part of the challenge with
this is that our website receives a large amount of traffic. Here are some
figures to show the volume of visitors we receive:

For the main site there are nearly 600,000 page hits per day and nearly 20,000
unique visitors. Over the course of a week, we receive about 83,000 unique
visitors.

As we design the new site, we want to ensure that we can improve load times as
well as reducing the load on our current systems.

Now for the fun part.

Some of you are using some wild browsers. One of you is using version 0 of
firefox (the latest release is version 59), there's some netscapes and mosaics
out there.
Someone (probably me) used the blackberry browser.

Our visitors represent almost every operating system from amiga to BeOS
(unfortunately, there wasn't one ending in z). 15% of our users are using
Linux (woot!). Someone out there is visiting us using Windows XP...
interesting stuff.

To help pay for this traffic and the content that drives this traffic, please
donate to the linguist list on our fund drive page
(https://funddrive.linguistlist.org).