29.1528, Featured Linguist: Wannie Carstens

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 9 18:22:17 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-1528. Mon Apr 09 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.1528, Featured Linguist: Wannie Carstens

                                   Michael Czerniakowski)

Editor for this issue: Clare Harshey <clare at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 09 Apr 2018 14:21:50
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Featured Linguist: Wannie Carstens

 Dear subscribers,

We're happy to present to you our next Featured Linguist of the 2018 Fund
Drive: Wannie Carstens! Read his story and more on our fund drive webpage:

https://funddrive.linguistlist.org/

MY CAREER IN (AFRIKAANS) LINGUISTICS

I grew up in Namibia (in the 1950’s and 1960’s) where I was exposed to a real
multilingual world: German (as Namibia is a former German protectorate, end of
19th and beginning of 20th century), Afrikaans (due to the historical
connection to South Africa where Afrikaans at that stage was the primary
language), English, and many indigenous languages: Oshiwambo, Otjiherero,
Nama, Damara, Kavango, San, etc. My father worked for the government and he
travelled a lot. During school holidays I accompanied him and experienced
these languages and their speakers in their actual settings. It opened a
multicultural and multilingual world to me, a world in which I felt
comfortable, the world of languages.

(...)

Read more:
https://blog.linguistlist.org/fund-drive/featured-linguist-wannie-carstens/

Please support The LINGUIST List editors and activities and donate during the
Fund Drive 2018. LINGUIST List really needs your suppport!

Thank you all!

Gratefully yours,
The LINGUIST List Team